cranking up the booostt

drewski1990

:
mazdaspeed protege 2003.5
I want to increase a bit more horses from the factory boost. I thought of deleting the CAT, but i didnt want to bare the hassle of CEL and increase in fuel consumption seeing as gas prices are on the rise. Maybe increasing the boost would settle this problem. Maybe to 10psi since factory internals can bare 15. Am i safe to run 10psi on only a fmic mod?

Lol who told you factory internals are good to 15 psi?! Lol. People ( including myself ) bend rods at Stock boost.
Unless you run meth and some sort of tuning ( split second, unichip, etc) it's very risky and you probably will blow a rod through the block.
Good luck with however you go about it

The number didnt magically appear to me. I read it on the forums. Piggy backs are pretty costly. Im just doing some research here, if everyone believe that its a bad idea then I won't consider it. Im pretty new to this, so please excuse me if i asked something dumb.

Its a worthwhile investment, just a bit expensive at the moment. If the tuning of it is not too difficult, I could save up for it. Is your setting at factory boost? If 10psi is too high what is consider acceptable and most importantly safe?

Its a worthwhile investment, just a bit expensive at the moment. If the tuning of it is not too difficult, I could save up for it. Is your setting at factory boost? If 10psi is too high what is consider acceptable and most importantly safe?

stock boost levels, until you get the mentioned piggyback or split second afc....OH and also having supporting mods (ie forged is a must on these cars to turn up boost)

The guy I bought my msp off of blew the original motor on 10lbs. Despite he was at a track running it hard all night, still in the end he had to replace the whole motor just because he wanted to up the psi without supporting mods. I wouldn't reccomend it.

what is the potential on the piggybacks. Too lazy to find that thread since its already being brought up here xD

The number didnt magically appear to me. I read it on the forums. Piggy backs are pretty costly. Im just doing some research here, if everyone believe that its a bad idea then I won't consider it. Im pretty new to this, so please excuse me if i asked something dumb.

I can't argue that piggybacks are expensive, because maybe $360 is a lot of money to you. Secondly- good luck on that whole 15psi thing. I'm on my third engine since upping the boost to 12.5psi and I've currently dropped it down to 10psi. Others have slung rods on stock boost, 8psi, etc...

seems like piggyback is a more reliable way. Can you tune it yourself at home or is it recommended to have it done at a shop? I live in the Bay Area CA, not too familiar with any tuning shops specifically for these.

search the forum. I believe there is a v1 ssafc for sale right now dirt cheap. Stay around stock boost until you get more bolt ons. FMIC is a great mod but a better flowing exhaust is a turbos best friend, maybe find a used intake somewhere. But I can't say it enough, get something to tune with before anything else before even thinking about a boost controller.

There are nearly 10 years of threads on this subject. Search and you will find all of your answers and guidance and suggested maps for tuning along with the pros and cons of each option. Blowing your engine IMO has a lot more to do with the way you drive and load your engine over time. Some claim to blow them when not even in boost. Others admit to flooring it in 5th for a long stretch. And many in between. My favorites have always been the ones to never admit doing anything out of the ordinary and then coming on here and bashing the MSP for being a POS. This was more common back in the early years.

What kind of mods if any do you have on your car now and what is the mileage. If you are not the original owner than cranking up the boost even with supporting mods on a high mileage and unhealthy engine is not too bright.

Last edited:
I have run 10psi since 04 without a piggyback and I still have the original motor and lsd. Boostr is right. Its about how you drive the car. If you pound on it everytime you leave a light it will blow.

Alot of people will recommend switching out the stock exhaust, but going bigger on stock boost really help?? im 2nd owner, car is currently at 115000 miles. what supporting mods do u have haze20??

I didn't make it clear, my fault. I don't have a heavy foot I'm just using it as my daily and wouldn't mind a little more power. Just there when I need it that's why I thought upping the boost wouldn't hurt and an economical way of instant power. I could also be wrong there might be other things i need to prep for that. After all this I think piggyback is a safer alternative.

The option with ssafc, is it required that I must have a wideban for tuning or can I just run with the maps given in the ssafc thread?

Back