Cracked the original headunit screen - Buy oem or aftermarket?

Canspark

:
2014 CX-5
Hit the brakes too hard with a load of lumber and managed to crack the original headunit of my 2014 CX-5.

The dealer I talked to tells me that Mazda doesn't just sell the screen.

Should I get the original or should I go for aftermarket?

Couple of thoughts.... did you have the TomTom installed? If so you might be better off getting a unit from someone that has replaced it or find one at the junkers. I know it sounds silly "junkers" but these people have changed their business model over the years and most likely have some units that they very skilfully removed from a CX5 or CX7 or Mazda 6 that has been in an accident. Will most likely cost you around 200 - 300 bucks and is plug and play. If you have no TomTom and are handy you could replace the unit with an aftermarket one, or find an installer and purchase the unit from them with installation. Cost will run anywhere from 700 - 1200 dollars, depending on the installer. Steer clear of "great units from China" they are generally running an older version of Android or Windows CE. CohoCarl already posted some links above.

I still suggest, to look at the LCD internally. Maybe, we can find one somewhere. Somebody, could replace it for you, if you can't solder.
I repair, on the side Kenwood nav units.

Steer clear of "great units from China" they are generally running an older version of Android or Windows CE. CohoCarl already posted some links above.

True, the quality may be spotty with some of the "China" units, although personally from a few I have seen, I have been impressed.
It would be a benefit to have an O.E.M. unit in it when it comes time to sell though. (Even with the bluetooth and gps issues)

Back