Cracked Air Intake Hose

dirizarr

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys just found out that my air intake hose is badly cracked which has to be the cause of the hesitation and lower idle. Just ordered and stock Dorman replacement but what is that bracket and connector on top of the factory intake hose close to the throttle bottle opening.
Do I have to pull that out with pliers and install it into the new hose?

Yes it's just a short metal tab, you can pull it out by hand and install into the new hose.

I JUST did this last weekend, it's pretty simple. Mine was cracked along the bottom in between the valleys of the accordion section. I NEVER would have even seen it but it threw the CEL "bank 1 lean" (I don't remember the code # exactly). It didn't idle higher when it happened on mine...

Thanks guys wasnt sure what that bracket was. I would have not noticed it had a huge slice by the ribbed part of the use until I decided to flex the hose. The car was idling low and would want to stall. The fact it is unmetered air might explain the wanting to stall. I also order a new egr valve since i am taking the air tube off.
To the person mentioning the car would rev or idle high from my experience if you try opening up the stock air filter box while the car is on the car should want to stall. Similiar to trying to fire up the car with no air tube on throttle body.

Thanks guys wasnt sure what that bracket was. I would have not noticed it had a huge slice by the ribbed part of the use until I decided to flex the hose. The car was idling low and would want to stall. The fact it is unmetered air might explain the wanting to stall. I also order a new egr valve since i am taking the air tube off.
To the person mentioning the car would rev or idle high from my experience if you try opening up the stock air filter box while the car is on the car should want to stall. Similiar to trying to fire up the car with no air tube on throttle body.

If you open the stock box it is still running through the maf sensor, sooo why would it try to stall if all you did was open a box and didn't bypass anything....?

You would get un-metered air then and would have stalling problems I'm guessing, but the airbox itself is positioned before the air meter (ie MAF).

That's something that's happening now my idle lower that usual and wants to stalls. When I take off from neutral the car hesitates. Regardless at least anyone who has not experienced this yet will know what to look for. LOL. Thanks for all the help guys.

Hey guys just found out that my air intake hose is badly cracked which has to be the cause of the hesitation and lower idle. Just ordered and stock Dorman replacement but what is that bracket and connector on top of the factory intake hose close to the throttle bottle opening.
Do I have to pull that out with pliers and install it into the new hose?

Where did you say you ordered that replacement hose from? I cant seem to find any in part stores and places like Lowes dont have the right size... I have to replace my mine as well because of cracking at the 90 degree bend and slight cracks at the front and end of the hose.

I JUST did this last weekend, it's pretty simple. Mine was cracked along the bottom in between the valleys of the accordion section. I NEVER would have even seen it but it threw the CEL "bank 1 lean" (I don't remember the code # exactly). It didn't idle higher when it happened on mine...

Same thing is happening to my car as well.. Cant believe it could be cracked enough to throw a CEL..

Not sure about size of crack, but couldn't you seal the crack with tape and check you theory "cause of idle issue"? When mine was cracked it also threw a CEL, although I don't remember the code other "lean" (i.e. too much air).

Got mine from RockAuto and fixed my idle and hesitation issues. Although when the a/c is on the idle goes from 800 rpms then down to 700. I don't use a/c much so when I reset my ecu maybe it hasn't programmed yet while a/c is on?

The dry rotting of the ribbed portion is very common on our cars chalk it up to a design flaw by Mazda.
I just replaced my air intake hose with a Dorman 696-601 I believe the part number is. Got mine from Amazon. Simple job only ran into one problem the darn clamps would not clamp down the bolt kept spinning. So after some cussing and two new bolts(almost bought new clamps) I got them tight again. Here is a short how to..

1. Undo filter box
2. Loosen clamps
3. Remove breather hose, sensor , (if you have that smaller hose attached under ur intake hose undo that)
4. Remove old intake hose
5. Put the clamps on new intake hose
6. Install new hose, the opening nearest the MAF is a tight fit
7. Clamp down hose
8. Reconnect breather hose , sensor , that hose under, close your filter box
(replace air filter if necessary!)

Glad it worked out. I had this happen too, threw off a too-lean-of-air code and people here knew right away it would be the boot. I remember my clamps being really bad, prior owner had stripped them good. Not too sure how long a replacement will last.

Back