CPO first oil change (and hate dealer)

:
2020 CX-9 GT
I have a 2019 CX-9. Bought CPO from dealer in February. Had a bad post-sale dealer experience and am not going to take it to that dealer for service. I'm now due for an oil change (~17,000 miles or so). I have a very trustworthy local garage that I take my other cars to (and my previous CX-9 once it was out of warranty). My question is whether I should find another dealer for this service (oil change) and the soon to come 20,000 mi service or whether I should do those at my local guys and save receipts in case of future warranty issue. There aren't a lot of Mazda dealers near me and the closest one is now ineligible because of my experience with them.

You aren't required to service your vehicle at any Mazda dealer. Most will typically only use the dealer for recall or warranty work.

All that's required is that the correct (Mazda-approved) parts are used, and either of the following:

• Original copies of repair orders or other receipts that include the mileage and date the vehicle was serviced. Each receipt (invoice) should be signed by a qualified automotive service technician.
  • For self maintenance, a statement that you completed the maintenance yourself, displaying mileage and the date the work was performed. Also, receipts for the replacement parts (fluid, filters, etc.) indicating the date and mileage must accompany this statement.
Some people like to have their vehicles serviced at the dealer because they do the visual inspections as well (check for leaks, fluid levels, lubricate door hinges, etc.), but this can be a double-edged sword as they (dealer) may lie about certain things to deceive owners into paying for services that aren't required.

Shouldn't be a problem going to an independent shop, or a quickie lube, for the oil change.
Buy a factory filter and bring it with you. Then make sure you keep the original receipts in case of future problems.

Read your warranty paperwork. Unless it says that you must take it to a dealer for all service, you can do exactly what sm1ke & Buzz say. Do use a factory oil filter. Engine makers do not publish the specs for the oil filters. Aftermarket filters are reverse engineered to match...or come somewhat close...to the performance of the OE filters. In the unlikely case of a failure of an engine lubricated part, you don't want to give the car maker any ammo to try to deny a warranty claim.

Oil filters need to fit correctly--thread size, gasket size, can size--plus can strength, filter media filtration specs, internal bypass valve specs, anti-drainback valve. In some cases aftermarket filters are excellent and made for the engine. In other cases the filter maker just picks some existing filter from their catalog and lists it as "suitable" even if it's not an exact duplicate. (The internal bypass valve is necessary to bypass thick cold oil that would rip the filter media and to bypass in case the filter media is clogged with crud--unfiltered oil is better than no oil to the engine. The bypass valve works on the pressure differential between the filter inlet and the filter outlet. For example, the WIX 57002 (and NAPA 7002) that fit our cars has a bypass filter that begins to bypass at 11 psi-differential and is fully open at 14 psi).

20,000 mile service? Check your owner's manual for the service specs for when and what is required. Don't let the thieves at the stealership sell you unneeded service.

Back