cp-e winter fuel cut fix.

So Lou at cp-e and I tried an experiment to cure the winter fuel cut. Basically it's temperature and load related. On my car I documented the temperatures, boost levels, and gears that I could induce fuel cut. The only way the car knows what temp it is is through the MAF and the IAT. Lou decided to focus on the IAT. We pulled the IAT plug out of the MAF connector and tapped the wire with a potentiometer. We could then read the IAT using a scan tool. I did several runs in 4th at WOT with the boost set at 18 psi and my tune. All runs were done in 4th to minimize variables. The ambient temp was around 48 deg F for the 64-77 deg runs. The ambient temp was ~37 for the 80 and 82 deg F runs. The following is a list of IATs and the approximate rpm where FC occurred:
64 4400
71 4700
75 4950
77-8 5050
80 5150
82-4 5300 - very infrequent

Using the dashhawk or another scan tool that can read real time parameters, you can easily dial the temp you want. The issue with dialing it to high is that the car will pull timing. We tried at 100 degrees and it was pulling a lot of timing.

Also, as has been discussed, the air density changes with temperature and setting an IAT of 40-50 degrees higher should alter any fuel calculations performed by the ecu. I was scared of this and have been watching my afr in closed loop very carefully. It seems the car places priority on the wideband O2 sensor as my afr is always very near stoich (14.5-8) at idle and closed loop even with the iat set at 84 deg.

The document below describes what is to be done. It instructs you to cut the IAT wire and solder it to a potentiometer. You don't necessarily need to cut it if you're handy at pulling the plug from the maf housing. Just be careful not to eff up the housing. I pulled the plug out and used a scotch lock on the wire. THis makes it easy to disconnect the potentiometer and push the plug back in the housing when it warms back up and a fuel cut fix isn't necessary.

Finally, I get a cel about every 10th time I start the car. It's a IAT circuit out of range or something like that. If I turn the ignition to on, wait a second or two, and then start the car it seems to happen less frequently. I clear it with the Dashhawk.

For all you cp-e haters, don't say they never did anything for ya...

View attachment 122769

There is also boosted air temperature that is taken from either the map sensor or the throttle body (not sure which one). I can read it with my ae scanner. The differences that cause the cel are probably related to that, not the outside air temp. You could probably trick that sensor in a similar way. I won't be doing this now since I don't have fuel cut, but if/when I do from more mods, I'll deffinately keep this in mind.

Last edited:
We rarely if ever get fuel cut with Jason's car...
So is CP-e basically making something like the Turbo-XS device then?

This is free. Read the PDF. They arent selling it, they are telling you how to do it. They are working on another device that is "smarter" that will be out in about a month or 2. I couldnt much details from them about that.

Doing this relatively free mod may work out well for light modders to get rid of the fuel cut. However, I don't necessarily like the fact that the ecu will be making calculations based on a lower density of air. I particularly think the big-turbo guys will have some lean spots in the power band. Sure, when you're just driving around the ecu will do what it has to do to get to the target afr, but in open loop it opperates completely with speed-density calculations. That means it completely ignores the o2 sensor, and bases it's fuel demand on maf and map readings. If you tell the ecu the air is less dense it's going to demand less fuel. If you have a clamped map sensor, I could only see that being even worse. Although, if you have any tuning device, you can likely make the necessary corrections, since the piggybacks only really effect wot and that's the only time leaning out should be a problem. As for the device they are getting put together, it likely is self adjusting to only lower the voltage as much as is needed to prevent the fuel cut. Probably reads the actual temperature and bases it's resistance on that, and it probably does a similar trick to the bat sensor to keep them in line with each other to prevent the cel.

(dance)

Glad you guys are getting a kick out of this little trick. As much of a hack as it may be, it does alleviate the cold weather fuel cut. We also make no promises or guarantees about how this may affect your vehicle, but it is better then the alternative which is well, a fuel cut. You guys can try it out or not, we were just sharing information that we've gathered over the last few months. (2thumbs)

We rarely if ever get fuel cut with Jason's car...
So is CP-e basically making something like the Turbo-XS device then?

TXS said:
Completely universal, this device allows you to raise your over-boost fuel cut so you can boost to your hearts content.

http://www.turboxs.com/item.php?ID=139

As far as I know TurboXS only sells an over-boost fuel cut defender. This product has been on the market for a while now, and is not what we're pursuing. Our fuel cut device is a microprocessor controlled unit that will automatically adjust your MAF (or MAP) temperature as needed.

There is also boosted air temperature that is taken from either the map sensor or the throttle body (not sure which one). I can read it with my ae scanner. The differences that cause the cel are probably related to that, not the outside air temp. You could probably trick that sensor in a similar way. I won't be doing this now since I don't have fuel cut, but if/when I do from more mods, I'll deffinately keep this in mind.

Excellent point. We realize that the MAP temperature sensor could have to do with the fuel cut, so Lou accounted for this and added an extra input and output for the MAP sensor. So we'll have the ability to tweak both sensors if need be.

Thanks for the info! I'm happy to see that the kinks are starting to get worked out as this car has a very picky ecu.

-C

Here's a sure tail way of finding out if this cold weather fix works.

You will need a 50K VARIABLE resistor part #2711716. Unplug the IAT sensor and solder 2 leads to the VR. Plug it into the IAT sensor connector using make spade connectors. This should allow you to lower your IAT temps down to 15F. Technically this should allow you to re-create the low temperature reading to see what the hell the computer is doing.

For you guys in colder temps.. you could raise the resistance on the VR to increase the temp of what the IAT would read and perhaps, keep you from seeing this fuel cut issues. Its worth a shot and is less than $3. Worth a shot to anyone having these issues.

Back