cp-e DeltaCore FMIC intercooler validation paper...

Hey guys, we're finally ready to release our DeltaCore FMIC for the SPEED6. The pipes have been sent to the powdercoater and the kits will start shipping as soon as the pipes return.

Back when we first completed the FMIC prototype, we used pressure and temperature sensors to validate our design as compared to the stock top mount intercooler. We used this data to ensure that our design was better than stock, and we also used it to optimize the design. Below are links to a summary of our findings:

http://rapidshare.com/files/30771348/MazdaSPEED6_Intercooler_Validation.pdf.html

Alternatively, someone was nice enough to host it for us here too (Thanks jinhao!!):

http://www.iemtechs.com/jinhao/MazdaSPEED6_Intercooler_Validation.pdf

The server is temporary until we get it up on our website. If you guys have any questions, feel free to post them up!

Jordan

Where are the dyno results? It would seem better at higher HP but what about stock IC vs. CPE IC HP? Is there a point in replacing the IC if that is all you will do to the car? At what boost/HP combination would a gain be seen?

I understand front mounts to be beneficial to drag cars because of the high delta P cooling air flow across the core to achieve steady state quickly, but it is not as beneficial to a daily driver, which only sees a small percentage of time under boost. Would a top mount not be better for a lower power car, due to shorter IC tubes, and the low duty cycle of the IC? I.E. better traffic driving and on ramp acceleration.

Many weeks ago, CPE said that the dyno results were not reliable for many reasons. Not to go into much detail, but there are many variables when it comes to intercoolers that can be difficult to control (ie temp, air flow...). The most difficult is the boost pressure loss/gain with the CPE system. So would you have to turn up the boost on the stock TMIC to control this variable vs the FMIC because of the decrease in pressure drop of the FMIC? It's difficult to study in a controlled manner. That is CPE's reasoning for not posting some dyno results.

Okay, so there is no question that the intercooler itself has a better delta T approach and less pressure drop across the core (not always better, fyi). But if you can't say it improves the engines performance over stock because there are too many variables then what good is it really? All the other stuff is great, but at what point does it become useful? An intercooler has to be carefully designed for a specific application, drag, track, street, whatever so what is the application for this FMIC?

well most true drag applications are going to run an air to water setup so it's not that.

i would say judging from the top bottom flow i/c core they are using, most like for a street application, which will also work for track as it looks like it still provides enough flow to the radiator. so a general use fmic kit. this core style seems to be the one to go to now over the old tube and fin style. I use a similar style abit a lot bigger on my talon.

with any fmic design there is going to be a tradeoff with performace mainly lag, because of piping. there is no doubt that there will be a better efficiancy rating over stock due to the simple fact of how the stock top mount is designed and where it is located at.

again it's all a trade off while most manufactures of ic try to design it the best they can you are still limited by space constraints within the car. because most people don't want to cut out metal out of their new car to fit one. because once you decided on a core that meets your need, you are really bound by the cars design on how and where to run piping.

You guys are approaching the questions wrong. To start a 19x10x3" core will fit under the hood without removing and material and keeping the cool air ducting. Also the ducting Mazda designed actually works well.

What is important here is the actual application of the IC. If you compare stock to CP-e FMIC, I doubt any increase would be seen. This is due to the boost limit at the intake manifold and how hard it is to actually lower temps at the manifold beyond what the stock IC can do. So a glimer of hope for the CP-e design is that the lower pressure drop and slightly lower intake temps does allow the turbo to not work as hard. This could have a benefit, small as it may be. But there is that nagging issue with more tubing between the turbo and the intake. Oh well.

So, rather than comparing lets just try to make more power. You would think to increase the boost, well the stock turbo is already pushing about 19-20 psi. So in this case if you could increase the pressure at the manifold to about 18 psi, then you may see some gains. What does it take?

Not a new turbo necessarily. You could replace the IC with one that performs better, like CP-e’s design. But you need to control the boost as well, so what are your choices? BCK? Engine management? Well, the BCK would not be a good choice as you would still need to be able to tune the car, so the only real option is the engine management. Hmm, that is a pricey addition to the IC cost, and more money will be shelled out for tuning. So what do you get?

Not much for your $2000. A couple of psi of boost. So my question is in the justification for most owners, they should be cautious of an intangible increase that cannot be backed up by actual dyno results.

Another consideration......If one was to consider a turbo upgrade over the stock, a new intercooler would be essential. I don't think the stock TMIC cool provide the extra cooling required by a larger turbo. This FMIC is capable of cooling up to about 450 hp.

And I will see good benefit out of the FMIC and EMS upgrade. I will tune after the install, and should see the benefit from those freed up psi. The dyno will tell, but I'm shooting for 300 whp.

MUSOM said:
Another consideration......If one was to consider a turbo upgrade over the stock, a new intercooler would be essential. I don't think the stock TMIC cool provide the extra cooling required by a larger turbo. This FMIC is capable of cooling up to about 450 hp.

Absolutely correct. And speaks to my point that the IC must be matched to the system. A high HP car would definitely see real benefit to an intercooler matched to its output.

Now as to a FMIC as a mustI disagree. I think a top mount would suit better to an engine pushing < 500 HP. What you *might* lose in any under bonnet temps, you would exceed in gains from a faster spool. Additionally Mazda did us a favor by installing such a smart cooling air duct design. They placed the inlet where the highest static pressure would develop, right at the leading edge of the hood and configured it to cover 290 sq in of intercooler area (huge!). A FMIC would be hard to match this as the frontal area of the car, where an intercooler can get direct airflow, is smaller.

InlineTwin said:
Where are the dyno results? It would seem better at higher HP but what about stock IC vs. CPE IC HP? Is there a point in replacing the IC if that is all you will do to the car? At what boost/HP combination would a gain be seen?

I understand front mounts to be beneficial to drag cars because of the high delta P cooling air flow across the core to achieve steady state quickly, but it is not as beneficial to a daily driver, which only sees a small percentage of time under boost. Would a top mount not be better for a lower power car, due to shorter IC tubes, and the low duty cycle of the IC? I.E. better traffic driving and on ramp acceleration.

We are not going to provide dyno results because there are no standardized testing procedures for dynoing a front mount intercooler compared to a top mount. Since the stock top mount is choked by the intercooler ducting, and the front mount has nearly unlimited airflow potential, the more fan you have, the better the front mount is going to perform. Bolt-on performance parts like cold air kits don't rely as heavily on dyno fans because all they need to do is keep the engine at a proper operating temperature, whereas the intercooler efficiency is directly coupled to the fans output when you dyno. If we dyno'd our front mount, than a competitor could one-up us just by using larger fans, and our intercooler would "seem inferior." So, we took a more direct approach and measured the temperature and pressure drop, since these are the things that make horsepower. If someone claims to make a better intercooler than us, we'd like to see legitimate efficiency numbers, not just horsepower. With that said, there will be dyno numbers from our customers shortly after the release of the intercooler. So even though we won't be dynoing the product ourselves, I'm sure someone else will do it.

And we're not afraid to tell you that there may not be a huge increase in horsepower with just the addition of the front mount, since the drop in outlet temperatures is about 30F with an apples to apples comparison. But you're also neglecting all of the top mount's weak points, which makes any apples to apples comparison on the street virtually impossible. This is the very difference between lab testing and field testing. If you have any experience in product testing (and it sounds like you do) then you'll be painfully familiar with this concept. But you're right in that this product isn't for everyone. If you're looking for great a 'bang for the buck' upgrade just in terms of horsepower, then maybe this isn't a good upgrade for you. But there are very legitimate reasons for the addition of a FMIC.

Let's just assume for a moment that you aren't capable of tuning the car. This is still a great upgrade for several reasons: First, our FMIC does have a higher thermal efficiency, so anytime you're under boost, your outlet temps will be lower than stock. Moreover, the turbo is going to be closer to its optimal efficiency range, which will drop turbo outlet temps even more. And people seem to neglect EGT's, but if you've never measured your exhaust gas temperature, it isn't uncommon to see 1400F+ right out of the turbo outlet (nailbyt) . The intercooler will naturally help drop EGT's too.

Then there's heatsoak. You can see by the thermal images what happens to the intercooler when you come to a stop. Everytime you come to a stoplight, your intercooler absorbs waste heat from the engine. This DRASTICALLY affects the intercoolers ability to cool the compressed air, and thermal efficiency takes a nose dive. A top mounted intercooler is placed there as a compromise as it makes packaging easier, and is often cheaper too. But it isn't ideal for making horsepower. Like you said, the highest static pressure is in front of the car, and the intercooler ducting capitalizes on the high pressure, but ducting invariably will reduce the air velocity before it gets to the intercooler. This is just a property of any viscous flow.

And even though heat makes horsepower, engines have to find a happy medium between temperature and component longevity. You'll notice that there is very little airflow in and out of the engine bay, and using the intercooler ducting to evacuate waste heat isn't a bad side effect of moving the intercooler to the front of the car.

And how do you figure that the TMIC has a low duty cycle? This may be true while puttering around town, but we tried our best to illustrate that exactly the opposite is true if you're laying into the throttle. If you look at the "Thermal Loading" section of the paper, you can see how both cores react to heat input at stock boost levels. Intercoolers work because you're exchanging the heat from one medium to another. In order for heat transfer to take place, there must be a temperature difference. If the stock core was properly sized, then it's core temperature would remain relatively constant under load like ours does. But the stock core reaches a point where the heat coming in exceeds the heat transfer out of the core and the core temperature increases. The result is more heat in the air charge that can't be expelled through the intercooler.

However, you do make a very legitimate point in regards to the added throttle lag. Although we contend that there is no added lag (or at least no perceivable lag) I think what we're going to do is log the boost pressure versus rpm for both the TMIC and our FMIC. In fact, we have a customer who has our Standback (which can perform the datalogging) and the stock TMIC, but is upgrading to the FMIC in the next couple weeks. What we can do is log the boost pressure versus rpm for both cases, before and after the swap. That way we can overlay the two graphs to see exactly how much added lag there really is. THAT, should be very interesting!

Jordan

The logging of turbo lag will be interesting for sure.

A question though.

With the approximately 3 psi of boost "savings" you mention could one not up the boost by 3 psi (using EM) and yet have the turbo working at the same level it was before the FMIC?

LBV said:
The logging of turbo lag will be interesting for sure.

A question though.

With the approximately 3 psi of boost "savings" you mention could one not up the boost by 3 psi (using EM) and yet have the turbo working at the same level it was before the FMIC?

That's exactly right (yes)

Jordan

MUSOM said:
And I will see good benefit out of the FMIC and EMS upgrade. I will tune after the install, and should see the benefit from those freed up psi. The dyno will tell, but I'm shooting for 300 whp.

I look forward hearing of your success. That would be quite a substantial increase with the stock turbo. Happy tuning!

www.cp-e.com said:
We are not going to provide dyno results because there are no standardized testing procedures for dynoing a front mount intercooler compared to a top mount. Since the stock top mount is choked by the intercooler ducting, and the front mount has nearly unlimited airflow potential, the more fan you have, the better the front mount is going to perform. Bolt-on performance parts like cold air kits don't rely as heavily on dyno fans because all they need to do is keep the engine at a proper operating temperature, whereas the intercooler efficiency is directly coupled to the fans output when you dyno. If we dyno'd our front mount, than a competitor could one-up us just by using larger fans, and our intercooler would "seem inferior." So, we took a more direct approach and measured the temperature and pressure drop, since these are the things that make horsepower. If someone claims to make a better intercooler than us, we'd like to see legitimate efficiency numbers, not just horsepower. With that said, there will be dyno numbers from our customers shortly after the release of the intercooler. So even though we won't be dynoing the product ourselves, I'm sure someone else will do it.

And we're not afraid to tell you that there may not be a huge increase in horsepower with just the addition of the front mount, since the drop in outlet temperatures is about 30F with an apples to apples comparison. But you're also neglecting all of the top mount's weak points, which makes any apples to apples comparison on the street virtually impossible. This is the very difference between lab testing and field testing. If you have any experience in product testing (and it sounds like you do) then you'll be painfully familiar with this concept. But you're right in that this product isn't for everyone. If you're looking for great a 'bang for the buck' upgrade just in terms of horsepower, then maybe this isn't a good upgrade for you. But there are very legitimate reasons for the addition of a FMIC.

Let's just assume for a moment that you aren't capable of tuning the car. This is still a great upgrade for several reasons: First, our FMIC does have a higher thermal efficiency, so anytime you're under boost, your outlet temps will be lower than stock. Moreover, the turbo is going to be closer to its optimal efficiency range, which will drop turbo outlet temps even more. And people seem to neglect EGT's, but if you've never measured your exhaust gas temperature, it isn't uncommon to see 1400F+ right out of the turbo outlet (nailbyt) . The intercooler will naturally help drop EGT's too.

Then there's heatsoak. You can see by the thermal images what happens to the intercooler when you come to a stop. Everytime you come to a stoplight, your intercooler absorbs waste heat from the engine. This DRASTICALLY affects the intercoolers ability to cool the compressed air, and thermal efficiency takes a nose dive. A top mounted intercooler is placed there as a compromise as it makes packaging easier, and is often cheaper too. But it isn't ideal for making horsepower. Like you said, the highest static pressure is in front of the car, and the intercooler ducting capitalizes on the high pressure, but ducting invariably will reduce the air velocity before it gets to the intercooler. This is just a property of any viscous flow.

And even though heat makes horsepower, engines have to find a happy medium between temperature and component longevity. You'll notice that there is very little airflow in and out of the engine bay, and using the intercooler ducting to evacuate waste heat isn't a bad side effect of moving the intercooler to the front of the car.

And how do you figure that the TMIC has a low duty cycle? This may be true while puttering around town, but we tried our best to illustrate that exactly the opposite is true if you're laying into the throttle. If you look at the "Thermal Loading" section of the paper, you can see how both cores react to heat input at stock boost levels. Intercoolers work because you're exchanging the heat from one medium to another. In order for heat transfer to take place, there must be a temperature difference. If the stock core was properly sized, then it's core temperature would remain relatively constant under load like ours does. But the stock core reaches a point where the heat coming in exceeds the heat transfer out of the core and the core temperature increases. The result is more heat in the air charge that can't be expelled through the intercooler.

However, you do make a very legitimate point in regards to the added throttle lag. Although we contend that there is no added lag (or at least no perceivable lag) I think what we're going to do is log the boost pressure versus rpm for both the TMIC and our FMIC. In fact, we have a customer who has our Standback (which can perform the datalogging) and the stock TMIC, but is upgrading to the FMIC in the next couple weeks. What we can do is log the boost pressure versus rpm for both cases, before and after the swap. That way we can overlay the two graphs to see exactly how much added lag there really is. THAT, should be very interesting!

Jordan

just tell me what to do, you know jordan ill do it. i have the stock IC and i have onorder your FMIC!

MS6mike said:
just tell me what to do, you know jordan ill do it. i have the stock IC and i have onorder your FMIC!

(2thumbs)

Awesome Mike! I swear I wasn't trying to be a jerk and just assuming that you'd help us without asking you first. The customer I was referring to was dadasracecar (Jason), since he's local to us and he implied that he'd help us. But really, the more data the better, and considering that your car has more mods, it would be interesting just to see the difference between your car and Jason's car.

If you'd like to help, which would be awesome, log your boost pressure and rpm from essentially idle to redline in at least gears 1-3. Just be careful, since I know getting a full run in third gear from idle to redline takes a lot of space and time. Also, make sure you label which runs are in which gear so we don't get confused. Also, worth nothing, make sure you start flooring it at the same rpm for each run, since that will affect when you start making boost.

Once you get the FMIC on there, you would perform the same procedure and compare the results. If both you and Jason were to help us with this, we would be able to get the information that some folks are really looking for. Thanks again Mike!

Jordan

Latest posts

Back