Cosmo brake upgrade

2x boxes arrived today.

Will post pics of the brakes & suspension by end of week.

REgards

(dance)

Package un-packed & photographed. Here are the raw components.

Note: the 330mm discs are a "Full-floating" design to save unsprung weight.

JCbrakes01.jpg

JCbrakes02.jpg

JCbrakes03.jpg

JCshocks01.jpg

JCshocks02.jpg

I shall attempt to get them fitted to the Cosmo in the next week or so as time is short but shall manage something.

I'm keen to weigh these parts & the factory parts coming off to work out the difference.

REgards

(ohsnap!) Look @ those juicy pics...Definitely interested in the weight difference!

As for the Cosmo MC...I recall my Mazda Dealer Friend telling me that it's a powerful unit and should be able to work well with a brake upgrade...:D

(ohsnap!) Look @ those juicy pics...Definitely interested in the weight difference!

Quite a weight saving................

Standard front strut/spring combo = 7kg ea
Custom front strut/spring combo = 3kg ea

Standard front calipers = 6kg ea
Custom front calipers = 2kg ea

Thats a lot of savings in "Un-sprung" weight that will mean greater handling abilities..................(wiggle)

REgards

Well, last weeked was a good one with most of SUN devoted to fitting the front shocks & brakes to the Cosmo.

We rolled the Cosmo into a mates garage. 12hours, Pizza, beer & plenty of distractions later the work was completed.

Here are the pic's

01. Starting with the standard 280mm single pot brakes.
JCbrakes13.jpg

02. We cut the backing plate with an angle-grinder as I didn't have a 32mm socket to remove the hub so it had to remain there, in very cut down form at least.
JCbrakes16.jpg

03. Fitting the caliper adapter. Both bolts using "Lock-tight" for safety
JCbrakes17.jpg

04. The kit comes with plenty of shimes to get the alignment 100%. In the Cosmo case. A single 0.5mm? shime was required. Lock-tight applied after.
JCbrakes18.jpg

05. Fitting the disc rotor is easy
JCbrakes19.jpg

06. Time to bolt caliper into place. Caliper bolt secured with Lock-tight
JCbrakes20.jpg

07. Braided lining flexible hose fitted & mounted via "supplied" bracket on shock tube. Pad "rattle-plate" fitted to back of caliper.
JCbrakes21.jpg

08. Job completed & dont they look the part. Front shocks where a very simple Install too.
JCbrakes22.jpg

09. 330mm discs tuck into the 19" wheels quite well I thought. Just the eye-candy factor is worth it already.
JCbrakes12.jpg

How do they feel......?

Didn't get the chance to properly test them. Drove Cosmo 5km back into garage at 60km/h - 80km/h speeds trying to bed pads in. Will test further next weekend or so after rear shocks are fitted.

REgards

VERY NICE!! Can't wait to hear about the test.

If all works well, I'm in for a set :)

Dave, if you don't mind, can you get me a detail spec of the rotors? I wanted to cross reference and see if DBA has a replacement rotor for that.

Rear shocks fitted last weekend. Pics to come. No chance at a proper test drive thanks to the 3km run back home from another mates place.

REgards

G'day. Here are the pics of the rear shocks getting installed. Installation of the rears was seriously easy once the interior was removed.

JCshocks04.jpg

JCshocks03.jpg

JCshocks06.jpg

JCshocks05.jpg

The rear parcel shelf had a couple of holes bored out in them but not through the top fabric. I then left the adjusting key inside the strut if I ever need to adjust it again.

REgards

Took the Cosmo for a little drive last night to give the suspension & brakes a test. Started raining (typical) so couldn't go too hard.....

First the suspension makes the car feel different in two ways.....

1. The considerable reduction in Un-sprung weight
2. stiffer springs & struts

So the car turns in sharper & just feels plain safer through a corner. the added weight of the Cosmo means it doesn't buck & bounce around like fitting these to a lighter RX-7.

Second, the brakes feel about the same at normal driving speeds but do have a definate "added bite" to them at higher speeds. 100km/h plus. I think the pad material they gave lacks the "bite" I expected or am I expecting too much...?

Perhaps I can change the pad compound as they are the FERODO brand of which I can easily source here in Sydney. More driving will tell a better story

REgards

i think im in if testing goes well. and its not too late.
what were rotor weight differnces?
can we get grey calipers.
also seeming their blank it would be fair trick to engrave cosmo into them.

you must be pulling up sooner....

Guys, as soon as I take the Cosmo for one last spin & verify everything, I'll be taking orders for both suspension & brakes.........

REgards

G'day from DMRH

Here is the list of "No No" items I are taking a risk with. If the parent company know the pricing I was thinking of compared to the min-pricing they want me to ask. Then its best that all perspective buyers PM or e-mail me.............. :wink:

The pricing of any ABC123 products in any advertisement to the public can not be marked less than US$930 for each coilover kit

US$1,720 for 330mm brake kit,

Any group-buy of ABC123 products in public like forums, magazines etc is prohibited.

Any auction of ABC123 products under private or company name on the Internet is not allowed.

Pricing can be determined by the dealers when a whole transaction takes place in private.

REgards

I applaud you on your time & effort to provide the EC Community with current performance parts but I must remind you and everyone else here...We have vendor rules and they are enforced.

Please PM me with information from one of the following applications...Depending on what you qualify for...VENDOR Application Forms

Your understanding and cooperation would be greatly appreciated Dave, thank you! :D

Back