Corner weight figures

woot woot

:
Mazda 2
Hey
Was about to start adjusting my suspension for the new year and wanted to know what figures people run for corner weights.
My corner weight was not done properly so I will be adjust heights and stuff first then getting it done at a different place.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

I know but is there a specific amount of weight I should place over the rear and front?

There's a few different chains of thought on this topic. I'll outline them briefly and open it up to discussion of each.

1st is the most common one as Zach mentioned; even cross weights. It's tough to do on our cars without really wonking up the ride heights. The right rear is the lightest corner and the left front the heaviest. It's almost impossible to get a true 50/50. You can get close, but not exact

2nd is a side to side percentage. Since the car will never truly be cornering on one wheel alone and using the entire side to enter and exit a corner, try to get a 50% side load balance to the car.

Ideally you'd like both, but it's tough in our cars especially because the rear beam transfers weight so differently than a fully independent rear.

I'll post mine if you post yours...kidding of course. This forces me to use that dreaded Tapatalk app again.. How I loathe thee.

Here you go. This is full interior, full tank and ballasted drive weight of 205lbs. I'm no horse jockey like some of you..

No driver:
a552908c0644063cc2738491d27fe46d.jpg

With human ballast:
ca6ace34a2525f8b8997c08f1a782116.jpg

Just for giggles, I put my weight in the passenger seat to see how well the RHD cars have it, guess what, it's damn near perfect! No pics of course, since I couldn't get near the scale computer from the right seat, but my daughter read me the numbers.

Last edited:
Now, you'd say after seeing this above, just Jack the hell out of the RR and get some of that weight off that LF, I went as far as to add 1/2" ride height to the RR to try and get some off, it transferred very little. Then Tony (flatlander937) and I discussed possibly a lighter RR spring weight to load up the RR more. The theory was a lighter spring (or shorter same weight spring) would allow more weight jacking on the RR corner to get better balance. With a coil over perch having zero weight and a shorter spring/same rate, the spring coils have more load per coil than a longer length spring. Adjusting up the RR perch may have more % of an effect on balance. These are theories that will be tested in 2 weeks. I have full use of a set of scales as long as I need them. Any interested parties here that are near(or choose to be near) New Brunswick, NJ Jan 11-23rd can also gain discounted access to said scales. (By discounted I mean you help and buy lunch/beverages). Contact me for more details and address.

Last edited:
Thanks heaps. Here is my old one without driver weight and is with full tank and full interior also.
I want to do a new set up that includes the driver and takes out most of the contents of the rear trunk
uploadfromtaptalk1451220550709.png

Jeff is right about the ride height. You will end up with thing being off a good bit to get the cross weights correct. Mine wasn't that bad, but I think one is 1/4" off.

Back