CorkSport Short Ram Intake for 1st Gen MZ3

_Jason

:
2010 Mazdaspeed3
Hi All,

We're in the process of developing a short ram intake for the first generation MZ3, similar to the one we have been selling for the last 4-5 months to the 2010 guys.

Our goal is to have an intake that makes good power across the powerband on the 2.0 and 2.3 with a simple installation, clean look and configurable color options for those of you who want to have a specific look to your intake. This will be followed up with our cold air box development that will give you all of the low pressure drop characteristics of a short ram design with the cold air benefits of a long tube CAI.

The design uses a 4 layer braided nylon reinforced silicone coupler, anodized and second-op machined billet MAF housing and CorkSport Dry Flow conical filter w/ internal air horn and AEM DryFlow Media. It will provide location for a factory style valvecover positive crankcase ventilation tube.

We'd like to get as much feedback as possible on design considerations so we can incorporate any other items early in the development process. We're a few weeks away from having our first set of prototype silicone couplers as well. We have a number of our 2010 MZ3 design intakes on 2.3l 1st Gen MZ3's also and they are running great with no CEL activity (one has been on for nearly 5 months now).

Here's a photo of our 2010 setup in blue with black MAF Housing and some close ups of the various design elements in the system:

01.jpg

By the time we release the design for the 2004-2009, we will have a multitude of anodizing colors (sky's the limit really), silicone colors (blue, black) and filter media options (blue, red, charcoal).

And finally, a few of our blogs detailing our intake design process and configurable intake systems.

I know a lot of you here, but incase you haven't met me in person or online yet, my name is Jason Griffith and I'm the Product Development Engineer here at CorkSport. I've been here for about 8 months now and have been spending a lot of time on the 2010 model year stuff... Now that the majority of that work is underway, I'm looking back to the earlier models to see what we can do to backfill our inventory and provide innovative new products for our existing customers.

Thanks for your feedback,

Jason Griffith
CorkSport Mazda Performance

Sounds interesting, may be interested in one of these come spring for my 07 Mazda 3 Hatch. Will be keeping an eye on this.

Oh, this is perfect timing! I'm looking to replace my miserable Simota intake (my car is in the shop now, and has been for days, because of an issue caused by the Simota, and will end up costing me well over $500, including rental car). I was planning on getting the K&N Typhoon and just using it as an SRI, but I wanted a heat shield, and I didn't want to have to pay for all the extra cold air tubing I wasn't going to use. If you make this, I will be buying one, probably shortly after they're available, depending on price. I would want blue and black (I have a Winning Blue Mazda3s sedan), and ideally would want the heat shield, although that may depend on the design (how easy it is to get the filter off for cleaning).

Jason@Corksport, can you make sure that when you position the MAF Sensor that you take into account how long the stock MAF Sensor wires are and make sure that it isn't too tight and not putting any extra strain on the wires. Or maybe you could offer a MAF Sensor cable extension so we don't ruin those delicate wires. I guess that is one thing holding me back from getting a SRI. It would be great if you could take this into account with your design.

Of course, there will be no strain on the wires. All of our systems place the MAF within a few inches of where it was from the factory. In the case of this intake, its negligible difference from stock.

Jason

So here's a question for you all: On the valvecover breather hose, would you prefer the hard plastic factory line with the clip-lock fasteners, a silicone hose that matches the silicone throttle body coupler, or a cloth braided hose?

I can get some photos together if you'd like.

Jason

I'm not sure which I would prefer. Photos might be helpful. I don't think I really care as long as whatever you end up going with is reliable. I have so many miles on my Mazda3 now (175,000!), and with the RX-8 as my toy, I just want it to get good mileage and not cause me trouble, mostly. I keep the outside of the car clean and waxed Under the hood is pretty dirty.

personally I would be interested in this product. and in regard to the breather line, I would want it to hook up to the stock line with the clip fastener thingy

If we went that route, you'd simply re-use the fitting from the factory airbox and plug it into our silicone coupler.

Jason

an SRI is the only type I could use on my `08 hatch, my street floods easily and the water gets from curb to curb (gah) I'll defintely be watching, though you said the 2010 intake works as well.

an SRI is the only type I could use on my `08 hatch, my street floods easily and the water gets from curb to curb (gah) I'll defintely be watching, though you said the 2010 intake works as well.

No more cold air intakes for me. This problem I referred to with my MAF wiring harness caused by the Simota is the *second* MAF-related problem I've had due to aftermarket intakes. My first attempt at an aftermarket intake was an F2 cold air intake. I ran through a fairly deep puddle at very high RPM (didn't see it coming), sucked just enough water up to short out the MAF, limped the rest of the way to work (an 85 mile drive each way), limped home, and took it to the dealer. Had to buy a new MAF, get an ECU reflash, and several days of rental car. Total bill was $500. This last issue ended up costing me a bit over $600 total. Ouch. The only cold air intake I would even consider doing now is the K&N with the water filter thing over it, but even that I have no desire to do, partially just because it was always a PITA to get at the filter to clean it when I had the F2.

I want this CorkSport SRI!

Let us know when they come out and are ready in a few weeks, charcoal or a dark gray for me!!!! Tick tock.

Jason, do you have a time estimate for when these will be released? Just trying to plan my tax return money spending. If it's going to be a few months yet, I'll not worry about setting aside some of the return money for this.

I don't believe they are offering an "air box". I had asked on another thread for this about power and torque gains also mileage gains, still no answers. It seems odd that they would just machine a piece to bolt mafs onto, with a hunk of hose, and a filter, and never do any testing. (dunno)

I don't believe they are offering an "air box". I had asked on another thread for this about power and torque gains also mileage gains, still no answers. It seems odd that they would just machine a piece to bolt mafs onto, with a hunk of hose, and a filter, and never do any testing. (dunno)

They have the gains on their website.

There won't be any real fuel efficiency gains. A freer flowing intake will reduce pumping losses and thereby increase fuel efficiency very slightly, but any gain you might actually see if you record your mileage every fillup like I do is going to be obliterated by the likely heavier use of the accelerator pedal after the intake is installed. In all the years I've been throwing bolt-on performance parts on my cars, I've never seen a significant fuel efficiency increase with the exception of the 1.5% taller 5th gear I purchased from NSN Motorsports in 2006, and that difference was only perhaps 1 or 1.5 mpg. Even it was difficult to notice in my spreadsheet. The biggest difference you can make will always be driving style, and I improved my fuel efficiency numbers by a good 4 mpg that way.

Back