Cops-2, Me-0....

2K3 MSP

Contributor
:
Spicy Orange MSP #1287
Okay, so I got my second license plate ticket on Friday, and I'm a little pissed. This is the second one in two months in my little ass town. We don't have red light cameras, and they are the only reason cops are enforcing them. I don't even get pulled over where they DO have red lights cameras...
When I go to court to pay this fine, I'm going to see how much this second offense is going to cost me, and also how much a third offense as well. If it's as I remember, this second one will be around $50, and the third upwards of $100. Nothing I'm willing to pay...
So it looks like I may be putting my front plate back on unfortunately...Problem is where to put it. I dont have the holes in my bumper, so I need to find a new way to put this on. Does anyone have any good ideas of mounting their plate without blocking too much of their FMIC?? If I put it in the grill, I'll have to cut a little off around the plate so it doesn't rub on the paint.

If you have mesh on ur front, get some zip ties...thats what my friend did was his.

Drill a buncha holes in it to allow air to flow through, then zip tie it to your lower grill.

I've also wondered before if a person could get away with getting a screen printing shop to put their license plate # on a piece of tight mesh. I wonder if cops would notice.

At a car show yesterday, I saw this nice front license plate bracket on an STi. It was adjustible...I'll have to post pics.

Get yourself a cheap offset bracket:
picture0012qo.jpg

You can also make one with some Aluminum square tubing and a cut-off wheel.

As far as using zipties, I would need to trim off some of the outer portion of the license plate to make it fit into the factory grill area. If it's even legal to cut the plate, I would rather just chop it down as much as possible, basically to where it only showed the letters, making it about 3" tall. Not sure if I can get away with that though.

-Dino, I'd like to see pics if you could get them.

-Pretzellogic, did you make that one, or buy it? I hate the whole front plate look, but I like the way that one looks. Wouldn't block my fogs or FMIC much either. Thanks for the pic.

i personally would go with an offset look....just my preference.

u could super-glue it to your bumper....zip ties, or drill holes ...etc.

i bought an offset plate bracket off ebay for $10. i'm sure if you have the resources, it would be much cheaper to make one yourself. either way, check ebay for plate relocators.

weak, but I don't feel sorry for you.

memo79 said:
I've also wondered before if a person could get away with getting a screen printing shop to put their license plate # on a piece of tight mesh. I wonder if cops would notice.
that's actually an interesting idea. Or do it with vinyl on the bumper...

2K3 MSP said:
-Pretzellogic, did you make that one, or buy it? I hate the whole front plate look, but I like the way that one looks. Wouldn't block my fogs or FMIC much either. Thanks for the pic.
I bought it, but you could easily make one with some square tubing and a cut-off wheel. I had to cut a bit of the plate off to keep it from rubbing against the MSP lip, but I suppose you wouldn't have that problem.

i dont know about looks but i know there was a product once where the license plate was on a sprung hinge where when you reach a certain speed the wind would push it back so you get airflow to the FMIC. but i know your more into the look huh?

I thought about using one of the flip down/ hide-away type, but I've got to do some more searching for a good kit.

Altering a license plate in any way, shape, or form is highly illegal here, whether it's cutting it or painting it.

Check your lock traffic statutes before doing anything like that.

Now the foldaway is an idea I saw a long time ago on the Miata mailing lists. Never got around to doing it, through.

I trimmed mine, and did my best to make it look like it was supposed the look like that. Haven't had any complaints yet.

here in ma the plates just fall apart! the paint and the reflective stuff just fades off....but don't alter it!!

Back