conventional engine oil versus synthetic engine oil

avidien

Contributor
:
2013 CX-9 Touring
In the video below it seems like the conventional oil runs too thick when cold even though it's rated at 5W-30,

Also, is anybody running 5W-30 instead of 5W-20 per owners manual.

I read that 5W-30 is actually better when the engine is running hot since it has higher viscosity and slightly thicker than 5W-20.

And manufacturers recommend less viscosity 5W-20 for better MPG ratings but not necessary better for the engine to use thinner oil when hot, is there any truth to that?

Oil discussions are a great topic that can have 25 responses with 26 different opinions.
The wider the number range the 'better' it is supposed to be for an engine.
If your engine is running right the outside temperature will not have an effect on the oil since it will be above ambient temps.
Cooler weather the synthetic will probably flow better since they can make the oil do whatever is desired.
I wouldn't use 30 in mine. We did it once in our Tribute and had horrible ticking. Don't know about the CX9 engine, but the passages in the Tribute did not allow the flow needed when a ticker oil was used- several people have discussed this in other forums.

All russian cx9 use 5w30, this oil is recommended by mazda motors rus. Because 5w20 officially is not imported to the Russia, i think.
By the way, yes, i have "horrible ticking" every morning at first few miles/minutes with starting on cold :(

sorry for my english.

Last edited:
All russian cx9 use 5w30, this oil is recommended by mazda motors rus. Because 5w20 officially is not imported to the Russia, i think.
By the way, yes, i have "horrible ticking" every morning at first few miles/minutes with starting on cold :(

sorry for my english.

Hi Vlad,

your english is just fine, thanks for your contribution, much appreciated,

so there's no way to get 5w20 at all in Russia ? that's very surprising,

can you order from amazon.com and ship it to Russia (I'm not sure of shipping costs)

I've never heard "ticking" before when I use 5w20 in cold weather,

I was thinking about switching to 5w30 but I guess I'll stick with 5w20 then.

Last edited:
so there's no way to get 5w20 at all in Russia ? that's very surprising,

can you order from amazon.com and ship it to Russia (I'm not sure of shipping costs)
Yes, of course, I can buy oil on Ebay or amazon.
But I was stopped by two things:
1. I heard that 5w30 is better for my climate zone.
2. shipping costs is around 10-12USD per 1 kilo.

And i'm not sure, would it be better if I change 5w30 to 5w20 on old engine with some wear and tear. (65k miles)

P.S. wife's car mazda3 2008, also run on 5w30 with out any ticking... (dunno)

Back