Compressed Air sound at 2500 RPM's (part 2)

JGreen215

:
2008 Mazda CX-7 GT AWD
I've had my 2008 CX-7 GT AWD for a month and last week I noticed a compressed/forced air sound coming from the front drivers side when I get to and above 2500 RPM's. I took it to a dealer this week since its under warranty and they came back and said they test drove it and the turbo sounds fine. WTF.

I took it to my local mechanic (before I took it to the mazda dealer) and he said otherwise...he thought maybe a hose was loose.

Anyway, I'm pissed that the dealer said they checked all the connections and that there are no problems. They know more than I do, but something isn't right. Should I try another dealer? Its going to mean time off work, since they don't look at this kind of stuff on wknds.

Also, the turbo was replaced prior to purchase.

Any thoughts/feedback are appreciated.

-Jeremy in Philly

Does the engine surge at idle up and down? If not sounds like your stock blow off
/ recirculation Valve is leaking. Floor it and see if it starts back firing after 4000 rpm

No, the engine isn't surging at idle. How serious is the stock blow off valve leaking? I'm taking it back to Mazda this week.

It could be the hose that reciruclates the air from the blow off valve to the airbox. Your BOV is in the front drivers side. There should be a hose about 5/8 thick going from it to your air box. Check and see if it is off on the airbox side. Also people like to take it off the BOV side so they can hear it. Usually when that happens and you are on the highway it will bounce back and forth between 6th and 5th gear. Definately is not to bad if your car is not backfiring or surging though. If your dealer blew you off (typical of any dealership) take it to another. Also check your state lemon laws. Some have a rule of 3 times for the same unresolved problem and you can get all your money back. My parents did it in WV and they had owened the car for 3 years, put a lot of miles on it and they got every cent back. They had a serious issue the car would just die and not restart. But who knows you may have to use it if they can not fix it or refuse to investigate.

Thanks Bucky. Good advice. I hope its not that serious. I didn't buy it from a Mazda dealer, but a dealership in NJ. The carfax report was clean (1 prior owner) but there was a comment that the turbo had been replaced. Based on a lot of the comments on the turbos I thought that was a good thing that it was replaced, since there seem to be problems with them smoking, etc.

I'm taking it in this week and will ride with the service manager this time to show him the sound. They're not blowing me off again.

Turbo's get a bad rap! I drive a little hard and as long as you keep the oil changed and use some common sense your turbo will last a long time. Let the car idle for about 30 seconds before shutting the engine off. Not really necessary if you were not really boosting before you stopped. I had a 92 Eagle Talon and learned the hard way about turbo's! Oh I melted the piston to the piston wall! Something about 104 octane 28lbs of boost and forgetting to turn the injectors up!

Took it in this morning and NOW the service manager is saying he went for the test drive this time and heard the noise. They drove another cx7 and did not hear the noise, so he's got to call to regional mazda people to find out what to do. I told him two weeks ago when I took it in the first time something wasn't right!

Good for you! Does the dealership sell brand new Mazdaspeed 3's. I found out not all dealers are authorized and if so I would find one close who does. Mostly because they are required to have a tech that is trained in our engines on the CX7 because it is the same minus the trim on the turbo as the speed3

They said a clamp needed to be tightened on a hose connecting the turbo and the intake. Anyway, the car is fixed and not longer manking noise...plus they cut and coded my new spare key fob for FREE because of the inconvenience. Saved me $49.95. Today was a success. Thanks for the support Bucky. I'm back and ready to take on some snow here on the east coast.

Glad to hear they fixed it! I will tell you that being originally from w
WV I do not miss the snow !!!! Drive safe and stay off the brakes neutral is your friend lol!!!

Back