Mazda CX-7 Limp Mode

It's a 2010 Mazda CX-7. It's in like new condition. Sometimes it goes into limp mode on start up IE; RPMs go to about 1000 and immediately fall to about 500. ,Sometimes it will start up fine IE; RPM's go up to about 2000 and slowly comes down and all is good however, it has also went into limp mode a couple times now when driving. I say limp mode because it basically has no power. It will allow for about 30 km/hr maybe less. Seems the only way to get it running good again is to keep starting it until the RPMs go up to 2000 as per normal. I took it to the garage and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. They said it had 2 codes .. One for TPS and one for APP. They said they cleaned the MAF and cleared the codes $150 later. Of course it has done it again since but I'm thinking what is the point of bringing it back to them.

If possible, can you take it to a place like Autozone and ask them if they can pull codes for you? Usually they can do this for free. Otherwise, you can buy one of those ELM 327 bluetooth OBD2 dongles on Amazon. They plug into the OBD2 port, then you can download a free app like Torque and connect to the dongle via bluetooth. This would allow you to pull and reset basic codes yourself.

Either way, pulling the codes gives you a decent place to start. From there you can post them here, or do a google search to see what the codes mean. With this info, you can start narrowing down potential causes for your issue.

Thank you so much for your reply. I have a progress report with lots of codes. The CEL is solid on and the TCS light is flashing. I borrowed a OBD2 reader and I have the codes as follows:
CODE #1: P0220 (Throttle/Pedal Position - Switch B circuit) The extra data on this code shows ... Calculated load 45%, ECT 84.2ºF, ENG RPM 1107, Vehicle speed 2 mph, TPS 16%, RUN TIME 54 seconds, ECU VOLTS 14.32 V.
CODE #2: P2100 (Throttle Actuator Control Motor Circuit /Open
CODE #3 P050A (Cold Start Idle Air control system performance)
CODE #4: P0455 (Permanent Evap emission system leak detected - Gross leak, No Flow)
I have since removed the throttle body, cleaned it really good as per a Youtube video, opened and inspected the sensor carefully in good condition, re-installed. Start attempt same results. Next I removed the accelerator pedal, checked the voltage ok, opened it up and inspected ok, re-installed and test to no avail. I was unable to test the Throttle body/accelerator pedal sensor with a meter as it is not a potentiometer type. Ie; they are both Hall Effect type sensors. I watched a video where this guy had a similar problem and it turned out to be his battery. My battery is brand new and holds really good charge so I started thinking it may be the spark plugs. I replaced all plugs and you guessed it, same results.
I also tried this relearn procedure I found ..
To do a Mazda throttle body relearn procedure
1. Perform a hard PCM reset by disconnecting the battery cables from the battery and touching them together. This will drain the capacitors in the PCM to wipe out adaptive memory.
2. Reconnect the battery and turn the key on but do not start the engine. Immediately depress the throttle to the floor (wide open throttle) 3 times. This will set the TPS angle.
3. Start the engine with no loads on (no lights, blower, defroster, etc) and allow it to come up to full operating temperature (wait for the radiator fans to come on.
4. Then add loads to the engine by turning on lights, AC, brake application, steering input, one at a time.
This will cause engine load and the throttle body will open to compensate for the increased load. The throttle body relearn is now done.
You help is greatly appreciated. My name is Randy. Cheers!

Last edited:
Back