complaints about aem

superdude

mazdamp3_18 had a problem with his aem sucking hot air and getting a cel now has anyone else had the same problem. I really liked aem products before but now I am not so sure.

i have an InJen CAI and i have had no problems with it, the pipe gets so cold after 20 mins of driving even in 30C weather!

superdude said:
mazdamp3_18 had a problem with his aem sucking hot air and getting a cel now has anyone else had the same problem. I really liked aem products before but now I am not so sure.

ya know....he (mazdamp3_18) stated that it made his car start running hotter...or that it indicated that it was running hottoer...I ask him if he wasn't overlooking another problem...as there is no way that the intake was making his coolant run hotter....like there could have been a malfunctioning thermostate.....he never replied...guess he never read the thread after I posted....who knows.....

but.....IF he was getting a CEL because of high air temps....there was another reason for it.....it had nothing to do with his AEM...there are too many of them out there running trouble free for that to have been his problem.....I think there is something else causeing the high temps to exist.

I agree with you Sir Nuke but the the thing i can't figure out is how come he did't see the temp rising on one of his gauges. would't he see that first before the CEL.
Just can't figure it out
:confused:

there is a thread somewhere about out temp gage...ever notice that once its in the middle that no matter how hard you drive it the gage never really moves? hmmmm wonder if we have a cheep gage that doesn't have a linear sending unit....and the temp he said his coolant was at isn't all THAT hot....I think it was like 212.....lots of cars now days run that hot or hotter NORAMLLY....BUT mix that with the air and put HOTTER air in the intake....THAT is what gave him the light.....I wouldn't be looking at the intake for my problem...but rather what made my coolant system temp rise....it may be just luck that he got the CEL....for it may have come on SOONER than it would have if he does in fact have a coolant problem.

I'm remember reading somewhere that many factory temp gauges can be very misleading...notice how most of the time (once engine is warmed up) the gauge seems to always sit in the same place...I read that this "same place" can represent a huge range of temperature...with the top of the range being quite hot...almost to close to dangerous temps...I'm sure it depends on the make of the car...seems like many are using these non-linear gauges...its like only 3 modes:

Mode1-cold startup

Mode2-operating temp

Mode3-your screwed

Sell that thing and buy my CAI! Guaranteed to look and perform as well as the Injen. I sound like a salesman,...hahaha! Maybe I should start selling cars.

Does anyone know if it is the sending unit or the dash gauge that causes the non-linear temp readings? Is it correctable or does anyone make an aftermarket gauge that fits in the factory dash location?
Its always pissed me off that automakers don't put temp gauges and oil pressure gauges with actual calibrations on them.

superdude said:

I have the AEM SRI and have had no such problems....yet

Back