Compare CX3 with CX5

Jazzjim

:
2001 xterra
I would like to hear some comparisons of the CX3 with the CX5, ride & handling, comfort, technology and reliability from those who have had both or have knowledge of both. I'm having a really tough time deciding which would be best for me. The tipid heated seats and inept sound system in the CX5 have already caused a stir in the selection process. Thanks

Surely the difference in size is the main consideration? Have you tried the seats and heard the sound system, I have not had an issue with either.

The CX3 does look very smart and would be high on my list if it was the size of vehicle I was looking for, or you should get a Mazda 3. I need the space of the CX5 to get 3 suit cases and a buggy in the back without lowering seats.

Last edited:
All the upgrades on the 2016 made me buy one this spring. I saw the CX-3 at the N.Y. Auto show early this year. One was not allowed to get in the display car but, the interior seemed to snug for me.
I've been driving a 25 yr. old Toyota Corolla and I wanted a bigger vehicle so I can accommodate four adult passengers comfortably. I like driving the CX-5 without having to touch elbows with the front seat passenger.
I was disappointed with the Bose audio system expecting it to sound way better. It's okay, not horrible, and I can live with it.

I would like to hear some comparisons of the CX3 with the CX5, ride & handling, comfort, technology and reliability from those who have had both or have knowledge of both. I'm having a really tough time deciding which would be best for me. The tipid heated seats and inept sound system in the CX5 have already caused a stir in the selection process. Thanks

The seat heaters in my CX-5 are great and the Bose sound system is not noticeably worse than the Mark Levinson sound system in my Lexus. The biggest difference between these two vehicles is the size and the powertrain.
Personally; if I was considering the purchase of a FWD CX-3 I would be comparing it to the Mazda3 hatchback.

inept sound system in the CX5 have already caused a stir in the selection process. Thanks

Uhh... it's far from inept. I don't know where you're getting that idea from. The worst thing I can say about it is that with the "Bose" name, I was expecting a little bit more... but Bose hasn't been Bose for a very long time. It's a good system overall. I'm pretty stuck up when it comes to sound and I think it sounds pretty decent. No, it's not going to compare to spending a few grand on an aftermarket system, but it's much better than many factory systems.

Not to mention, the CX-3 is not going to be significantly different. If you see it as an issue, it can be fixed with aftermarket. The rest of the car more than makes up for these "shortcomings". Dollar for dollar, even if you drop a few extra bucks on aftermarket, you're still getting more bang for your buck with a Mazda vs another make.

If utility and space is a key consideration then only the CX5 will make the cut. CX3 only has about 60% of CX5 boot space (I think you call trunk space in the US). The back seats are also a snug in the CX3. Remember the CX3 is based on the Mazda 2 platform.

The facelift CX5 more than matches the CX3 in terms of interior quality and technology. In NZ, the top spec CX5 has more technology than the top spec CX3 such as Adaptive Smart LED lamps, memory seats, Auto Dimming mirror, SCBS Reverse, Radar Cruise Control. They both drives well with a CX3 a bit more nimble given that it is a smaller. At the end of the day it comes down to a size and space decision.

Mazda 3 hatchback all the way. It has more volume, more cargo room, more power and probably lower center of gravity.
Cargo volume (seats up): 20.2 vs 12.4 cu-ft
Power: 155 HP/150 lb-ft vs. 146 HP/146 lb-ft
Rear leg room: 35.8 vs 35 (and rear leg room is not in abundance in the 3).
Rear shoulder room: 54 vs 50

The only positive for the CX-3 is 2809 lb of curb-weight (FWD) vs 2865 for the 3.

The only reason you might want to consider the CX-3 is AWD, which is not available in the 3.

... The tipid heated seats and inept sound system in the CX5 have already caused a stir in the selection process.
If you're talking about Bose system, CX-5's does have deficiencies as its 9-speaker system has no front directional tweeters hence the high notes are disappearing; and there is no sub-woofer either. 7-speaker Bose system on CX-3 has front dash tweeters and a spare-tire fitted sub-woofer which, in theory, will be a better sound system than CX-5's.

2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-3%252520Bose%252520Spare-tire%252520Sub-woofer_02.jpg

I traded in my my 2013 CX-5 GT AWD with tech package for a 2016 CX-3 GT AWD with a tech package. I know there have been improvements between my old '13 and the current CX-5 that is for sale, but I definitely don't regret the trade. If you need a lot of space, it might limit you. But I've fit 2 adults and 2 teens in the CX-3 with plenty of room. If you're over 6', that would make it a little more cramped in back though. Our other vehicle is a minivan since there are 6 of us. Most of the time, this is all the car we need. As far as comparisons, I personally like the CX-3 better. Handling is a lot better. Interior cabin a lot quieter. Interior quality? Not even close. Makes the CX-5 look cheap in comparison. Nothing wrong with the interior on the CX-5, unless it's being compared to the CX-3. Fuel economy is effortless on the CX-3. I had one trip into town where I registered 6.4L/100kms (36.7 USmpg). It just feels like a much more solid vehicle and is so much more fun to drive. Unlike others here though, I can't compare it to the 3 as I haven't driven it, but if you're comparing just SUV's the CX-3 is my choice. Definitely try them both out and make sure you don't need the space of the CX-5 for what your needs are. It is a much smaller vehicle. And as far as the sound system on the CX-5, turn off the stupid centerpoint feature. Sounds TONS better without that on.

I traded in my my 2013 CX-5 GT AWD with tech package for a 2016 CX-3 GT AWD with a tech package. ... And as far as the sound system on the CX-5, turn off the stupid centerpoint feature. Sounds TONS better without that on.
Can you comment on the Bose sound quality between CX-3 and CX-5 since you experienced both? To me, the mid-range Twiddler center dash speaker, which CX-3 doesn't have, dominates the music listening environment even if you turned Centerpoint off for 2016 CX-5 Bose system!

CX-3 vs CX-5

Just want to add some stuff to the comparo.

The CX-3 doesn't have an independent suspension in the rear and is based off the mazda2 platform (correct me if i'm wrong).

CX-3 vs CX-5
Just want to add some stuff to the comparo.
The CX-3 doesn't have an independent suspension in the rear and is based off the mazda2 platform (correct me if i'm wrong).
CX-3 has torsion beam rear suspension, not a real independent suspension, like Mazda2 and many other sub-compact cars and CUVs.

Specs can be compared here:

http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-3/2016/features-specs/

CARGO CAPACITY, ALL SEATS IN PLACE 12.4 cu.ft. MAXIMUM CARGO CAPACITY: 44.5 cu.ft.

http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-5/2016/features-specs/

CARGO CAPACITY, ALL SEATS IN PLACE 34.1 cu.ft. MAXIMUM CARGO CAPACITY 64.8 cu.ft.

The cx-3 has less usable cargo space than the 3 does, at least from appearances. It's noticeably short behind the seats. This makes sense since it's based on the 2 platform.

Can you comment on the Bose sound quality between CX-3 and CX-5 since you experienced both? To me, the mid-range Twiddler center dash speaker, which CX-3 doesn't have, dominates the music listening environment even if you turned Centerpoint off for 2016 CX-5 Bose system!

Here's a good comparison. I was listening to a band called Billy Talent the other day, kind of a punk rock sound. I noticed a sound on the right that I'd never noticed before, and I've been listening to them for years. The one part of this song the drummer was hitting a crash cymbal to make a really full sound instead of the typical hi-hat or ride. I realized I was also hearing the constant tapping of the hi-hat. Drummers will often tap their left foot to add that sound as they play the ride or crash, but it's usually a very subtle and easily missed sound. I've never heard it as clear and distinct as I did here. That was using an iPod hooked up through one of the usb ports. Like I've said, I liked the system on the the CX-5 for the most part, but this is so much better. And being a musician myself, I'm always curious how they make the recording. Is it set up as if you are on the stage or in the concert. You can clearly tell with this system as the hi-hat sound came from the right, as if you were looking at the drums in a concert setting.

Last edited:
And being a musician myself, I'm always curious how they make the recording. Is it set up as if you are on the stage or in the concert. You can clearly tell with this system as the hi-hat sound came from the right, as if you were looking at the drums in a concert setting.

I've never spent the time to learn much about MP3's but it looks like the collection I have on my iPod are recorded at a wide variety of kbps rates. Some sound better than others but I haven't bothered to look-up their various rates while listening to them.

As a music aficionado, perhaps you can tell me where the sweet spot is. I have plenty of memory/storage but I don't want to add new selections at a higher rate that provides no audio benefits. What is the best rate to use for maximum fidelity without going overboard?

Here's a good comparison. I was listening to a band called Billy Talent the other day, kind of a punk rock sound. I noticed a sound on the right that I'd never noticed before, and I've been listening to them for years. The one part of this song the drummer was hitting a crash cymbal to make a really full sound instead of the typical hi-hat or ride. I realized I was also hearing the constant tapping of the hi-hat. Drummers will often tap their left foot to add that sound as they play the ride or crash, but it's usually a very subtle and easily missed sound. I've never heard it as clear and distinct as I did here. That was using an iPod hooked up through one of the usb ports. Like I've said, I liked the system on the the CX-5 for the most part, but this is so much better. And being a musician myself, I'm always curious how they make the recording. Is it set up as if you are on the stage or in the concert. You can clearly tell with this system as the hi-hat sound came from the right, as if you were looking at the drums in a concert setting.
This proved my point here. Missing directional dash tweeters on CX-5 makes high notes disappearing such as the drummer was hitting a crash cymbal. With tweeters and sub-woofer, a cheaper Bose system on CX-3 can be so much better! Thanks for the comparison comment!

I've never spent the time to learn much about MP3's but it looks like the collection I have on my iPod are recorded at a wide variety of kbps rates. Some sound better than others but I haven't bothered to look-up their various rates while listening to them.

As a music aficionado, perhaps you can tell me where the sweet spot is. I have plenty of memory/storage but I don't want to add new selections at a higher rate that provides no audio benefits. What is the best rate to use for maximum fidelity without going overboard?

All my music is from either CD or iTunes. I don't know a lot about kbps rates other than I know people who have downloaded music only to find out it isn't a very high quality copy. An original CD or iTunes download I would guess would be more than enough for most people. Sony relaunched the Walkman to appeal to those that want the high rate downloads, which would be almost like owning a master copy of the original recording. But unlike your simple $50 mp3 player, this retails for a mere $1200.

I've tried out the seat heaters in my CX-3 a few times, and they have been quite warm, definitely worth having. I haven't tried the CX-5 heated sets myself, but there have been some comments on a thread here that the CX-5 seat heaters seem really weak, so that's another difference.

Last edited:
Back