Cold air intake Void Warranty?

MM3Canuck

:
2007 Mazda3 GT, Galaxy Grey
Hey all!

I was wondering if a cold air intake will void my warranty on my brand new 07' Mazda3 GT?

MM3Canuck said:
Hey all!

I was wondering if a cold air intake will void my warranty on my brand new 07' Mazda3 GT?

technically yes, practically speaking no. some dealers will void the warranty for taking the dealer sticker off the back of the car!!

well first off, make sure you understand that an aftermarket part can only legitimately be claimed to have voided your warranty if it could have caused whatever problem you're trying to have warrantied. If a rear suspension bushing goes bad or something, you still have that warrantied, for example. That said, i've taken my car in with a CAI and gauges when my tranny shift fork broke (could conceivably be caused by power increase, i guess), and they didn't say a thing. Depends alot on your dealer, i think.

jmv said:
well first off, make sure you understand that an aftermarket part can only legitimately be claimed to have voided your warranty if it could have caused whatever problem you're trying to have warrantied. If a rear suspension bushing goes bad or something, you still have that warrantied, for example. That said, i've taken my car in with a CAI and gauges when my tranny shift fork broke (could conceivably be caused by power increase, i guess), and they didn't say a thing. Depends alot on your dealer, i think.

They also could say becuase you have a CIA that you race the car and thats what was cuasing your issue becuase it was beign raced the car one to many time. ^--- like your shift fork for example that can be linked to racing... i.e. shifting extremly hard!

StealthWyvern said:
They also could say becuase you have a CIA that you race the car and thats what was cuasing your issue becuase it was beign raced the car one to many time. ^--- like your shift fork for example that can be linked to racing... i.e. shifting extremly hard!
I'd slap their face. That'd be a completely assinine conclusion to come to. I drive a RWD car so I must be a drifter.

and if anything ever happens, i could just put the OEM air filter back in, right?!!

MM3Canuck said:
and if anything ever happens, i could just put the OEM air filter back in, right?!!

yes, and make sure that you can reproduce the problem with the stock intake on. Many techs know that if there's a physical problem with the MAF harness (ie loose terminal), and not all the screws are in place, or the resonator's not in there, the owner might've had a CAI installed.

It depends on how well the service manager treats you. mine tells me never believe everything i read on the net... and that includes the TSBs.

I've said this before in another thread sometime back, but I still think it is nice logical thinking: Mazda offers a CAI for sale, so as long as your CAI is basically the same in shape and function (it's a CAI, how different can it be?), I would think they couldn't void your warranty any more than what they would void should you have bought and installed theirs.

nate0123 said:
I'd slap their face. That'd be a completely assinine conclusion to come to. I drive a RWD car so I must be a drifter.

Well you said it assinine... i've seen dealers void warrenties on trannies becaues the person had a short throw shifter installed...

thebeansoldier said:
yes, and make sure that you can reproduce the problem with the stock intake on.
It depends on how well the service manager treats you. mine tells me never believe everything i read on the net... and that includes the TSBs.

My service manager said the exact same thing as above. The key, in his mind, is whether or not the stock configuration will reproduce the problem.

I always ask in person not call about any mods that I plan on making & I have yet to have my dealer say no. Of course, I always bring baked goods from my local bakery everytime I visit, so I suppose that might have something to do with it too.

I was unaware of the OEM 'CAI'. How much would that cost though, most likely a furtune.:bs:

No the CAI will not void anything, unless you drive through water and lock the motor. So maybe! But I had my header and my cai and exhaust and lowered when they replaced my clutch under warranty.

I wouldnt have to be carefull while driving through rain right? I mean the CAI won't suck it up?
Sorry I am new to this, and do not know much about this kind of stuff!!! <- Noob!!!

MM3Canuck: You want to be careful driving through any kind of standing water where the filter stands a chance of being submerged. Small amounts of splashed water getting under the hood probably won't hydrolock you and rain isn't really an issue.

Also, there's a height restriction on signatures of 300 pixels vertically, including any text. Yours is twice that high. Your car looks nice though. Those wheels are definitely growing on me ;)

Latest posts

Back