Codes + Badly stumbling engine

Rage941

:
2003 Mazda protege ES 5 speed
My engine had been stumbling occasionally at idle for a split second here and there. Sometimes when taking off it would stumble for a second but then catch itself and be fine. Today I changed the spark plugs to see if that would help and it's much worse, barley drivable with misfiring. During that first drive after the spark plugs I also started having radio trouble. I have an aftermarket Pioneer head unit that stopped playing and reads "AMP ERROR."

As I was taking off for the first drive after changing the plugs I checked the codes and initially I had P0421 P0544 and P0660 but then P0302 popped up a few seconds later. No check engine light.

Not sure what I should do first. I read the P0660 could be harness or PCM related, so do you think the radio issue is related to that? Really don't want to dump a bunch of money into this car :(

P0421 - Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0544 - System Gross Leak Evaporative Emission
P0660 - Intake Manifold Tuning Valve Control Circuit Open Bank 1
P0302 - Cylinder #2 Misfire

Frist Check your spark plug wire boots. Any cracking will cause a misfire. A misfire of this nature can mess with the radio. P0421 would happen because your dumping fuel into the cat.

Ended up being an ignition coil. Cheap and easy. Phew. Still having the radio trouble though :(

Back