COBB Knob - Review

ScorpioGTX1

:
2012 Mazda 2 GS M/T
I was very happy to see my COBB Knob in the mail today. After looking around at different options for a while, I settled on the COBB Knob due to it's aesthetics and use of Delrin, which will make sure my hands don't get too cold in the winter.

8407140646_80726051f4_z.jpg

First off, this knob looks great. All the materials are very high quality, which you would expect from a shift knob that costs $70 before tax and shipping. It's extremely light compared to the stock knob on the 2. Installation, of course, is very easy.

8406048393_b483b90cd4_z.jpg

One of the best things about this knob is how well it fits the 2. It's like it was made for it. Fully screwed down, the knob fits flush with the boot, with no modifications necessary. This is great, because a lot of shift knobs will leave some shift lever metal exposed. The COBB Knob looks like it could have come with the car from the factory.

The lightness of this knob really pays off when you're shifting. The improvement in shifting feel is astounding. It's hard to believe that such a small change can make such a large improvement. You feel much more connected with the car; the added tactile feedback while rowing through the gears is great.

My only complaint is that since the knob is extremely smooth, it provides significantly worse grip than the stock knob does. This is only an issue when you're wearing gloves, however, as there is no lack in grip when using bare hands. Just make sure you have a firm grip on the knob with your mitten-clad hands before you shift so you don't slip and miss like I did the first time.

All in all, it's a great product and I highly recommend it. Expensive, yes, but definitely worth it.

Last edited:
Nice! I bought a cheapie off of Ebay & concur with the feel due to losing weight on the knob.

The ebay one left about 1/4" between the boot and the bottom of the knob, so I had to buy a few washers and put them under the boot to fill that viod. I imagine that is why COBB added the bling aluminum - to fill that gap.

Is it the same one as the MS3? I was wondering because there s a few nice ones at SURE that would look great in the MZ2

been looking around at different knobs havent decided on one yet... wondered if any one made a "short" shifter... i find its too long and high off the dash!

been looking around at different knobs havent decided on one yet... wondered if any one made a "short" shifter... i find its too long and high off the dash!

The only short shift kit I know of is the Corksport one, but it's just a shift plate and doesn't shorten the actual lever at all.

Back