clutch slave cylinder

96superneon

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
So i've been having trouble with my clutch engaging, having to pump it to get into gear. Read that it is either the slave or master cylinder causing it, or possibly air in the line. I took off the slave cylinder to reverse bleed it and thats when i noticed that the plunger isnt plunging. I took off the slave cyl and took it apart and cleaned it out. When i put the cylinder back together the plunger still didnt plunge. The spring isnt broken, but could it just be worn out? So now its all back together and put back on my car and now i have no pressure at all no matter how many times i pump the clutch.

Ok found out the spring inside the slave is only there to keep things in place and the fluid is what pushes the rod into the clutch fork. Today i bled the clutch and found that the main clutch cylinder (right behind the clutch pedal) is leaking. Guess i'll replace that and hope thats the end of this project.

hi, how did you determine it was leaking? was it leaking inside the car, under the footwell?

I could see it leaking in the engine compartment and when i touched it i knew. Also i did look under the clutch and saw oil around the rod that attaches to the clutch pedal. I replaced it and have still been having some issues with shifting. Today i adjusted the rod right behind the clutch to so that the clutch engages sooner (higher). And i think i have finally gotten my smooth shifting mp3 back!

replaced the master and slave on saturday. i think the master was fine no leaks and still had pressure in the clutch pedal, it was most likely the slave that pooped out on me.

the clutch pedal engagement is pretty high. i've adjusted the clutch pedal height and master cylinder rod length about 1000x since i learned how about 4 years ago and i can never get it right! if the pedal height is too high it engages high but smooth and predictable. if i adjust it low the engagement point is closer to the floor (my preferred) but feeling the engagement is tricky. was it always high for you?

Had a new slave Cylinder installed Saturday (140,000 miles). My engagement is next to the floor, does it need to be bled or can it be raised slightly higher?

Back