Cloth seats

Rear seat is more time-consuming on Touring because of 60-20-40 arrangement.

correct,

I've taken the door panels off to install speakers, and notice those door inserts needs to be glued on by using upholstery spray glue, you need to remove the screws but there are 2 hot melted studs, then those inserts will come off as panel, then spray glue them down, so I am putting the panel inserts later.

correct,

I've taken the door panels off to install speakers, and notice those door inserts needs to be glued on by using upholstery spray glue, you need to remove the screws but there are 2 hot melted studs, then those inserts will come off as panel, then spray glue them down, so I am putting the panel inserts later.

Yeah, I figure on doing that last as well. What color did you get? I went with Black with Ice Grey inserts and Ice Grey door panel inserts. Also got the red stitching option. I figure I only want to do this once so I may as well get exactly what I want especially since it was a gift from my BSU (beloved spousal unit). Now I have to figure where to pull the switched power from for the seat heaters. I noticed that there is an empty fuse space marked for 20 amps for seat heaters in the fuse block but do not know if is is wired.

correct,

Do you need to break the studs? I am trying to picture this. Also are there any issues with the air bags that I need to be aware of? I don't believe the Touring has heated seats so that is not an isssue.

Do you need to break the studs? I am trying to picture this. Also are there any issues with the air bags that I need to be aware of? I don't believe the Touring has heated seats so that is not an isssue.

again, you should disconnect battery terminal when working with electronics.

there is a main connector under the front seat facing the pedals, that will disconnect all wires to the seats, then 4 bolts will remove the front seats.

air bag is in your seats, not in the door panels like BMW, so those 2 melted studs, (I didnt' do it yet) but you can just cut them off with wire cutters or Xacto knife. when replacing I am thinking of using a screw and a washer to keep it together, or use a strong plastic bonder.

when removing the door panels, it pulls off pretty easily but you need that snap removal tool I ordered one from ebay for 5 bucks, broken snaps are a buck each at the dealer. do a search under speaker replacement there are pics in there.

the air bag on the seat is stationary, there is a fabric strap you need to remove it, it is snapped in try not to break that snap, you need to reuse. take your time remove all the plastic trims around the seat, long screw driver helps pry them apart.

I just got the basic all black ones, debated about red stiching but is too racy for a none sports car :)

Do the Katzkins have padding attached or do you just use whatever is on the orginal seat?

the fabric just comes off the current padding. I had found a thread before where people had some great pictures of doing it on a 3 but can't find them now. On the 3 the bottom cushion had hog rings that you have to cut to release it part way out on the padding and the back had velcro that held the cover in place

Back