Cloth seats

jtl

:
CX-5 GT w/Tech
What is the difference between the cloth seats in the Sport and the Touring models? Does anyone have any pictures? I really want leather but I thought I may just live with the cloth for a while and do the Katzkin later.

I believe it's basically the center seating sections that are upgraded from the Sport. After 3 months my impression so far is that the material on my Touring model should be fairly durable, but I'm reserving the right to upgrade to Katzkins too!

Do they look the same? I know I will need to look for myself but the Mazda dealer is a long drive so I am taking the easy way out.

The upholstery inserts on the seating surface (not the side bolsters) of the Touring are patterned whereas the sport seat material is the same over the entire seat. Sport seat is kinda boring looking while the pattern on the Touring seat jazzes up the interior a bit (which it desperately needs!). Other than that, they're pretty much the same. Either way, prepare to be underwhelmed by the interior on these cars. The quality is decent, but this is an obvious area of costcutting by Mazda.

Last edited:
Either way, prepare to be underwhelmed by the interior on these cars. The quality is decent, but this is an obvious area of costcutting by Mazda.

Hmmmm... I found quite the opposite. The interior is so tasteful it was a major selling point for me. Fit and finish is excellent which is more than I can say about much of the competition which often looks busy and overly "jazzed up". I love the clean, understated design and use of good looking but relatively light weight materials to keep the weight down. And I use the 40/20/40 split seat feature (comes with Touring models) all the time for skis, snowboards, lumber, etc. I love the way they fold flat due to the way the seating surfaces articulate as the seatback folds forward.

We will see how well the carpet and upholstery hold up over time but, so far, so good.

i also actually think that mazda did a good job with the cx5's interior. My mazda3 carpet was pretty thin so we'll see how the cx5 will hold up but the overall design is simple. One obvious cost cutting i believe is the cardboard like roof lining but no complaints.

Also one thing that I would have loved is if the the rear headrest folded forward just like the crv.

I agree with interior observations made by MikeM and aperture_shot, even if mine is the leather GT version.

The CX-5 has tasteful interior styling (like a premium car) with good quality and finish for mid-priced compact SUV. I see a few cost-control measures such as a lack of rear console upper vents and door control lighting, but nothing unusual in this price range.

Looks like they require a professional install. The MSRP on their website is $2-2.4k for the CX-5 depending on details, finish, inserts, etc..

I agree with interior observations made by MikeM and aperture_shot, even if mine is the leather GT version

My very first impression of it was "hmm, kinda plain" but after a few more minutes in the car it is really quite nice. No excess huge sections of plastic chrome, no swooping parts of the dash coming out at you for no real reason. Good fit and finish, good feel and everything within easy reach. The flashy interiors look great when you open the door but get old pretty fast.

There will always be areas where money is saved in production, the key thing is doing that where it doesn't matter as much. I agree at that headliner is a bit cheap but I've only noticed that once in 18,000 miles. It would be nice if the rear headrests folded forward, even if you had to do them individually like on the 3. But I also think the 3 way split rear seats are cool and the way the bottoms move out of the way so you don't have to do anything else to fold them down is great.

I wish that little tray in the center console wouldn't slide from side to side (but I just leave my phone charge plugged in to hold it in place) And I really wish they hand't left that little bit of plastic sticking up at the rear, center of the bottom of the console. I've reached in there without looking before and ended up with that under my fingernail.

http://mazda.handa.com/cx5.html

Those Katzkin leathers, do they need a pro to install them? Are they expensive?

if you are handy you can do it, I did mine, everyone thought it came from the factory.

do a Katzkin search, a set cost <$800. is all labor took me little over 3 hours on a sports model. hardest part is removing the front seat side plastic covers/clips, air bag is not that difficult, there is a strap clip on the cover that clips to the seat, just remove it and reuse it on the new cover.

the factory sport fabric is so thin, the Katzkin is much thicker since they are padded more.

if you are handy you can do it, I did mine, everyone thought it came from the factory.

do a Katzkin search, a set cost <$800. is all labor took me little over 3 hours on a sports model. hardest part is removing the front seat side plastic covers/clips, air bag is not that difficult, there is a strap clip on the cover that clips to the seat, just remove it and reuse it on the new cover.

the factory sport fabric is so thin, the Katzkin is much thicker since they are padded more.

Front seats only, or back as well? I will say that seat upholstery can be tricky (what little I've dealt with), does Mazda use a clip attachment for the middle section that couples to a metal bar that is formed along with the raw foam cushion?

And put me in the category with MikeM and such. The floor mats seem a bit cheap in my opinion though.

yes, cutter to cut hog rings and apply new hog rings, I bought the hog rings w/ crimper from ebay

In the uk we only have the middle and the top model. My SE-L has the higher spec cloth seats and they seem nice enough for me.

re: lights on door controls all 4 door switches are lit - but the drivers door only has it's own switch lit.

I looked on the Katzkin site and I did not see the covers for less than $2000.

Thanks for the link! So you did the entire car in 3 hours, if I end up doing this it would be on a 2014 Touring?

Those Katzkin leathers, do they need a pro to install them? Are they expensive?

I got mine through Autoseatskins http://www.autoseatskins.com/ They were shipped directly from Katzkin. Due to recent shoulder surgery I have not installed yet. Kit includes door panel covers as well. Very impressed with quality and turn around time. Ordered seat heaters from Leatherseats.com.

There are several youtube videos for installation instructions.

Last edited:
Do note that SAR, Autoseatskins and Leatherseats are all sourcing from Katzkins and all provide essentially the same product at roughly the same price (there may be others)...

Back