Cleaned the intake valves on my 2013 CX-5

:
South Carolina
:
12 MZ5 13 CX-5
115,000 miles, getting a P0300, random misfire. I figured it was crapped up valves, and yes, they were NASTY.
Got around to cleaning them today, and this job was E.A.S.Y.

It's kind of intimidating because you're pulling the intake manifold off, but it's really a simple job, no lie.

I used a media blaster loaded with walnut shells. And then used my shop vac to clean everything out.

Pics of before and after attached.

Attachments

• PXL_20240323_161709203.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20240323_161709203.MP~2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 92
  • PXL_20240323_154029361~2.jpg
    PXL_20240323_154029361~2.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 92
Awesome! Looks great. What media blaster did you use and what's a ball park cost of equipment and any gaskets needed. Mine will soon turn 70K miles (in 10 years) but most is local driving so many more cold starts vs highway miles. And I may be doing this somewhere down the road. Luckily no misfires yet. Thanks for posting this.

Corksport has this tool

Of course still need the media blaster and shop vac

Just a reminder for those contemplating doing this make sure cylinder your are working on is at TDC on compression stroke :)

Corksport has this tool

Of course still need the media blaster and shop vac

Just a reminder for those contemplating doing this make sure cylinder your are working on is at TDC on compression stroke :)
Yes. I have a USB camera for my phone, and I watched the valves as I turned the crank with a ratchet.

I also used masking tape on the cylinder ports that I wasn't actively cleaning to keep shells out of them.

Great to know it's just that easy to clean! While you had the intake off, did you replace the gasket?

Do you have a pic with the media vacuumed out of the chamber?

Did you bump the starter or turn the motor over with a wrench to close an open valve?

Great to know it's just that easy to clean! While you had the intake off, did you replace the gasket?

Do you have a pic with the media vacuumed out of the chamber?

Did you bump the starter or turn the motor over with a wrench to close an open valve?
Turned the motor by hand with a ratchet on the crank bolt. I have a USB Android camera that I watched the valves as I turned the crank.

Didn't replace the gaskets, they're silicone and were in super good shape. I did clean out the intake in my parts washer though. It was pretty damned gross inside.

The one pic is after the cleaning. Or do you mean a picture of the media I collected in the vacuum cleaner? Maybe the pics don't do it justice, but the difference between the carboned up valve and the cleaned one is huge to the naked eye.

Appreciate you keeping this maintenance item on the radar

Not a project for me this year… too much other auto maintenance this year but will keep it on the todo list. My ‘15 has around 83k miles

Knock on wood.. no abnormal driving symptoms and 90% freeway use

Turned the motor by hand with a ratchet on the crank bolt. I have a USB Android camera that I watched the valves as I turned the crank.

Didn't replace the gaskets, they're silicone and were in super good shape. I did clean out the intake in my parts washer though. It was pretty damned gross inside.

The one pic is after the cleaning. Or do you mean a picture of the media I collected in the vacuum cleaner? Maybe the pics don't do it justice, but the difference between the carboned up valve and the cleaned one is huge to the naked eye.
I BELIEVE ya, after 115k the valves and intake was nasty!

Pic 1 looks to me like there is build up on the valve. Pic 2 looks like media is in the intake.

Makes me wonder if installing a catch can is a solution or prolongs this procedure. On domestic V8s catch cans are popular to remove oil from the crank case before it enters the intake.

Possibly delay but not prevent eventual buildup from what I have observed others report. There is kind of a quasi catch can setup from factory but I don’t think there is anywhere you drain it. I’ll have to pull a schematic up. It may be different on the Gen 2 motors though.

The engine setups from other manufacturers with both direct and port injection seem to prevent the need to clean entirely.

I BELIEVE ya, after 115k the valves and intake was nasty!

Pic 1 looks to me like there is build up on the valve. Pic 2 looks like media is in the intake.

Makes me wonder if installing a catch can is a solution or prolongs this procedure. On domestic V8s catch cans are popular to remove oil from the crank case before it enters the intake.
No media left on the intake valve in that picture at all. The walnut shells are very bright and yellowish in color. Completely obvious.

Latest posts

Back