Checking for vacuum leaks

The ManLaw

The Manlaw of Want
:
15cx5 soon 20cx9
So i've been having a slight surge when at idle with the AC on reciently, surges then goes normal, then compressor turns on and idle rises(normal) then compressor turns off and it surges twice and idles normal. Now a buddy of mine mentioned it might be a vacuum leak causing this to happen and mentioned i should use MAF cleaner to spray on each vacuum line and wait to hear the idle surge to spot where the leak is. now is all this information correct or is he just effing with me?

Edit: if anyone can PM me on how to send a video from my phone to the internets and then to post it on here, i'll post a vid i took of this happening

Use propane - it is much more versatile and can help you reach places that you can't directly spray. Just crack open the propane valve a little bit so that a small amount of gas comes out, and hold it next to your vacuum hose connections. Any change in engine noise or idle is a clue to a leak.

I don't really know that this is a vacuum leak though - perhaps something like your A/C belt or your system pressure is off?

Use propane - it is much more versatile and can help you reach places that you can't directly spray. Just crack open the propane valve a little bit so that a small amount of gas comes out, and hold it next to your vacuum hose connections. Any change in engine noise or idle is a clue to a leak.

I don't really know that this is a vacuum leak though - perhaps something like your A/C belt or your system pressure is off?

yeah not about to go out and buy a propane tank to try this lol.

but my buddy did mention it MIGHT be my idle control motor is off and i might find myself an OHM meter to test to make sure all is well on that part.

as for the belt, its fine, its a new belt and properly tightened and the pressure might be off but i doubt that will mess with the idling surges.

Latest posts

Back