Check engine light crazy!

CX5 Baby

:
Mazda CX 5 sport 2013
I have a 2013 cx5 sport. All of a sudden the check engine light goes on at the same time it activates the traction control and the tire pressure light its on. I had to stop turn it off and when i turned back on everything was back to normal so i kept going. Now everytime i turn it off and back on the check engine light is on. Sometimes i turn it on and the check engine light is off. Days pass and it runs ok but then suddenly it does it all again. Anyone has an idea what it coul be? Also i noticed that it all started when i started to use the heater because of the winter and NO theres not snow when the traction control activates. And the heater only warms up when im running the cx5, if i stop it goes cold air only.

Well the heater core works off heat from coolant ... so no running engine = no coolant flow = no heat.. as far as a cel, you'd need to read the code to find out exactly. You can get it done free at Vatozone or order a $5 USB Bluetooth dongle which you can hook up to an android device and pull your own codes/data using a free app called Torque. It's a 6 year old car so it's probably just a maintenance item issue.
How many miles do have? Whens the last time you serviced the sparkplugs? Airfilter? Do you ever use fuel additives?
$9 Shipped, us seller. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

as low ad $3.50 if you want to order from PRC.

e7a44411-ee72-4b85-9d84-25a8b2ca060e_1.32d44453496bdae61d117c663779493f.jpeg

Last edited:
It is a preowned car, only had one owner before me and she did all the maintenance and services at the dealership where i bought it. It had warranty so the last 2yrs i have taken it to the dealership for ny state inspections and oil change and they always give me a paper with everything they checked. As far as mileage 79,000 and my warranty its over. And i understand what you are saying about the core but when i start the car if its very cold like on 10's or 20's it takes forever to warm up. I run 12 miles to get home and when i am close to my apt its when it starts warming up. I took it to a shop to do the inspection and because the check engine light turned off it pass thru ok. Thank you!

It is a preowned car, only had one owner before me and she did all the maintenance and services at the dealership where i bought it. It had warranty so the last 2yrs i have taken it to the dealership for ny state inspections and oil change and they always give me a paper with everything they checked. As far as mileage 79,000 and my warranty its over. And i understand what you are saying about the core but when i start the car if its very cold like on 10's or 20's it takes forever to warm up. I run 12 miles to get home and when i am close to my apt its when it starts warming up. I took it to a shop to do the inspection and because the check engine light turned off it pass thru ok. Thank you!
Take Chris_Top_Her's advice getting the CEL code, if any, read either by Autozone or a cheap OBDII code reader. Otherwise it'd be a wild guess for everybody. Sometimes the bad grounding somewhere could cause similar issues on some earlier CX-5's that can be a pain in the ass to fix.

I would first reset the tire pressures overnight cold to the recommended psig. Then I would remove and clean the gas cap seal to make sure it is sealing completely. I would Then I would get the codes checked and turn them off. If the CEL or other light come back on, get the codes read and fix whatever is wrong. Ed

It could be you need a new thermostat - but if very cold, heat will take at least 5 minutes to happen. The engine has to get up to normal temp, thermostat opens and hot water in engine block mixes with cold water in radiator.

If your thermostat is stuck open, it takes a lot longer for engine to warm up. Not unusual service item.

It could be you need a new thermostat - but if very cold, heat will take at least 5 minutes to happen. The engine has to get up to normal temp, thermostat opens and hot water in engine block mixes with cold water in radiator.

If your thermostat is stuck open, it takes a lot longer for engine to warm up. Not unusual service item.
During the cold start all vehicles will let heater core, with a coolant control valve, getting warm coolant from engine if needed before the thermostat opens letting coolant flows into the radiator.

Of course if the thermostat stuck open it would make the entire engine warming up much slower which makes heater core not getting hot coolant soon enough.

What does your temp gauge [or idiot light?] say on that long trip home? Does it read cold, too?
Stuck thermostats used to be a common problem.

What does your temp gauge [or idiot light?] say on that long trip home? Does it read cold, too?
Stuck thermostats used to be a common problem.

If it hasn't had a coolant flush and fill, it could be more common. As far as I know the tech in a thermostat hasn't changed in 50 (maybe 100) years.

The light that tells me the car is warmed up its on and blue when i start the car wich means its cold(obviously) but it turns off later when the car its supposed to be warm but still the heater wont warm enough! I even wait for that light to turn off and then i turn on the heater. For what everybody is saying it could be a to of things but where do i start? Check engine first i guess!

Many auto parts stores will pull the code for you for free. Just be ready to write it down. There may be more than one code. My check engine light came on and I had about 5 codes. They all pointed to the same thing. So get the code and let us know.
Heater not blowing hot enough. Make sure your not low on coolant.

Back