Cheapest repair for dislodged rear bumper reflector on CX-5?

On my 2017 CX-5, a huge pothole partially dislodged the rear passenger reflector from the bumper (the reflector is still partly connected, so it looks like there are multiple connectors and at least one broke). My dealership service department said the official Mazda repair requires replacement of the entire bumper (confirmed by my calls to other dealerships), but said any body shop with a plastic welder should be able to reconnect the reflector easily and inexpensively.

Before I go to a body shop, I wanted to ask whether anyone else has gone the body shop route and what was your experience? Including cost. Thanks.

Mine broke a mount that's attached to the bumper. Like yours. I found it pretty easy to remove the last screw that still held.

I'm pretty sure some silicon glue or epoxy will easily reattach it and I won't need a new reflector.

I might just reinstall it with the working screw and put a little glue right around the edge to hold it.

I found this special black plastic 3m epoxy at an auto store and it dries almost exactly like OEM black bumper plastic. It was about 8 bucks.

That's pretty cheap.

They are on ebay and such. Are the mounting points on the bumper broken or the points on the reflector?

Drivers side reflector (rear bumper) got dislodged on my 2017 cx5 as someone reversed into it. The body shop that my dealer works with sent their guy over. He glued the reflector back into its place with some epoxy. There were broken connectors in my case. It’s been almost 2 years and the reflector is still in its place.

You should give that a shot and my dealer didn’t charge me anything.

This just happened to my reflector and the whole thing popped back. Which brand of glue would you guys suggest using? I tried double sided 3M tape but it would not hold as the reflector is very heavy.

Pics:
20220101_154942.jpg

I had the same issue last year as I backed up into a bank of frozen snow. Luckily only the reflector came out of place.

I used this: J-B Weld 50139 Plastic Bonder Body Panel Adhesive and Gap Filler Syringe - Black - 25 ml https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I took off the panels on the back of the rear tires and stuck my hand all the way into the bumper and grabbed the reflector to hold it in place as I placed glue on the edges.
Not the best job but once it dried up I cleaned up a bit and you can’t even tell.

I had the same issue last year as I backed up into a bank of frozen snow. Luckily only the reflector came out of place.

I used this: J-B Weld 50139 Plastic Bonder Body Panel Adhesive and Gap Filler Syringe - Black - 25 ml https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I took off the panels on the back of the rear tires and stuck my hand all the way into the bumper and grabbed the reflector to hold it in place as I placed glue on the edges.
Not the best job but once it dried up I cleaned up a bit and you can’t even tell.
Does the adhesive hold well during hotter months? I just worry about it melting during the summer days (I'm in NYC so it can get quite hot/humid in the summer)

Thank you for your suggestion!

When gluing the reflector, did you guys put the glue around the border of the reflector or only on the connectors?

Does the adhesive hold well during hotter months? I just worry about it melting during the summer days (I'm in NYC so it can get quite hot/humid in the summer)

Thank you for your suggestion!
I’m on the east coast also near NYC so yes it’s held up fine during the hot summer months, rain storms and even now with the extreme cold.

Also I put some on the borders and on between the reflector and the bumper itself and quickly wiped away excess. If you let it dry, it leaves very nasty stains and is hard to get off.

If you haven’t done it yet, wait until the weather warms up a bit. The ideal temperature to apply is around 50-60*F. Might get lucky next week if the temps climb back up in NYC.

Back