Cheap-cheap turbo?

withoutme

Call me cheap but I want to build a turbo system for my 2.0 sedan that runs at 4-5 psi without an intercooler. I am simply aimming for around 30-40 hp to make it a little more competitive. This would create minimal risks for the engine and (automatic) transmission, right? Please comment on it.

Your tranny won't like it, but talk to spoolin...he has a non intercooled kit out, i think.

Kooldino said:
Your tranny won't like it, but talk to spoolin...he has a non intercooled kit out, i think.
Your tranny should be fine with a 30-40hp increase. We share the same manufacturing materials in our tranny as in the 200hp tribute. And actually, the FM/BEGI kit is going to be only about a 40hp kit, I believe.

I have read that our ECU's run VERY VERY rich after 3250 rpms. The ECU's go up to around 10:1 (A:F). That would mean that there is about 50 percent of gas left unburnt.

If I had a turbo system that kicks in at about 3250 rmps and run it at one half bar, that means it would utilize that unburnt fuel, right. Then I should be able to turbo charge without fuel enrichment....

I think this should work, in theory, at least.

Here is the link that where I read about the fuel of our ECU

http://www.protegeclub.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=5554&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Slight problem with that theory. As manifold pressure rises, the ability of the fuel system to push the fuel into it declines unless you use a rising rate regulator. A rising rate regulator will increase the fuel pressure depending on boost and will richen things up enough to boost. If you don't increase the fuel pressure, it will probably go very lean at around 4 psi of boost or so with the stock system.

thank you traveller. I missed that point.

Anyway, if I use nitrous, then I can take advantage of the fuel enrichment by the ECU, right?

My opinion is that you should be fine at 4-5 psi on an auto tranny and you should be fine with a non-intercooled setup as long as you run low boost

withoutme said:
thank you traveller. I missed that point.

Anyway, if I use nitrous, then I can take advantage of the fuel enrichment by the ECU, right?
Kind of. Cooler air i denser air, with more O2 and fuel-carrying capacity (I forget the measurement, particles-per-something).
Stay away from Nitrous. I would never put that on a car I intend to keep.

Absolutely not! Just ask linuxracer. Nitrous is the stupidist thing to use on any car that isn't reinforced for it. End of story. N20 is the ghetto way to get extra power.

big_ben said:
Absolutely not! Just ask linuxracer. Nitrous is the stupidist thing to use on any car that isn't reinforced for it. End of story. N20 is the ghetto way to get extra power.

Sho you right!:D Don't start a spiral into debt like me by blowing your MP3 engine! Seriously!

WHAT ARE U GUYS TALKIN BOUT???

DUDE................JUST PUT IN NAWWWZZZ(shocked)
It makes all your problems go away:D

J/K just had to throw in my Fast and the Furious bit in:)

Back