CEL PO421 Trouble

Crash1hd

Hello,

Ok so after having the check engine light on my car for about 3+ years, I got around to finally fixing it. The error code was PO300 so I replaced the EGR Valve as it was sticking open. The minute I did that I have had nothing but problems since. Prior to that the cel light was on but that was the worst that was happening except the occasional sputter, now it was sputtering like mad so I had all the spark plugs changed and both coils replaced. All was great couldn't get it to repeat the error now after driving it for about a day I am getting a new error PO421 something to do with the wutwc. The other day before I got the coils replaced I noticed that the wutwc was glowing orange that is how hot it was getting. So after getting the error took it back to the mechanic who informed me that this was logical as there was random misfires which caused the fuel to go into the warming unit and ignite in there, he reset the cel and all was fine. My dearest wife was driving the car tonight and indicated to me that the cel light is on again (the car seemed to be running normal) but the light came on again? What I am wondering is what I should do about the cel light (oh and using the bypass method I wont do as well that doesn't really fix the issue)

I now kinda wish I could have left the egr valve stuck (even though it was wreaking my fuel mileage I am sure, I get about 480km per tank (298 miles).

Thanks in advance

well, your pre-cat/warm up cat is toast. The un-ignited fuel from misfires ruins the the element. Sorry to say the replacement is expensive.

Depending on emissions laws where you live you can put a header on, which is less expensive. This happened to me about a year ago and luckily I just made it under the federal emissions warranty - 8 years/ 80000 miles.although sounds like you might be in Canada, kms. You may have something similar, check in to it. best of luck

Back