Catalytic Converters

Purrfectangel

:
2002 Protege 5
I'm in need of new converters for my P5. My car is an 02 base model no up grades. I found these two on partstrain.com. Just wondering if anyone has used them before and if you have was there any problems with fitment or problems in general? I'm just looking to replace my stock converters and these are the most reasonable priced ones I've found. I'm ordering online so I want to make sure they are the right parts and no major difficulties with them.

Thanks

http://www.partstrain.com/store/det...verter/2002/Base/4_Cyl_2-dot-0L/M6650854.html

http://www.partstrain.com/store/det...se/4_Cyl_2-dot-0L/M6641004.html?location=Rear

Last edited:
whats wrong with your car that the cat's need to be replaced? seems odd. unless you have a million km's on your car or you have serious engine problems there should be no need for replacement.

i'd go grab some from a junkyard or put a wanted ad up in the FS section. forget buying new. no reason to be flushing that much money down the toilet.

The cats seem to be working fine. They sound okay. Both shields however are almost rusted off. When my checking engine light came on initially I was driving on the highway, it all of a sudden lost power, so I pulled over and stopped, then the engine shaked profusely for maybe 5-10 seconds and then it was fine, that hasn't happened in awhile though. The check engine light is reading code P-0421 warn converter efficiency and code P-0140 Sensor 2 Oxygen sensor no activity. I thought it might just be the sensor so I ordered one but I don't want to pay 150 (no returns) for that just to find out its the cat and not the sensor.

i would check the o2 sensors first. and the heat shields aren't needed. i have no heatshields anywhere on my exhaust as they were rusted, so i ripped them off.

it could be both sounds like your motor was missing real bad from your description gas could have ruined the precat and the o2 sensor

I would pull the sensor that says it has no activity first, clean it with brake cleaner, put it back in and reset ecu. It might even be corroded connection since the location of the o2 sensors is right in line with moisture coming thru radiator into engine bay. Check the connections for both of them. See if that code stays gone and then see what's up. I have had this happen due to carbon buildup on the sensor. It has been fine for year or so since then. Sensor 2 is the one after exhaust manifold.

Last edited:
Back