Carrier Bearing

sreddos

:
2010 CX-9 GT
Does anyone have a diagram of where the carrier bearing is on a 2010 AWD CX-9? I slid on ice and hit a curb 2 weeks ago and the dealership replaced 2 rims, a wheel bearing and did an alignment, which fixed the steering problem, but there is this weird vibration coming from the bottom of the vehicle. It is noticeable at highway (55+) only. They put the vehicle up on a rack today and had it running at highway speed while a technician listened with a stethoscope and the carrier bearing is the only place they found any noise so they are going to replace that. However, I am worried that maybe there is more damage than what is being noticed. If hitting a curb caused enough damage to damage the carrier bearing, is there a risk that other parts are damaged? I would like to see what else is connected to the carrier bearing?

Thanks

Thanks Ceric. I fouund that link as well but I was trying to see if anyone that has a workshop manual could send me a skematic of where it is on a CX-9.

The workshop manual has been posted on here, not for 10', but should be the same diagram. Look for it on the CX-9 forum here.

I tried looking in my collision repair estimating software for a diagram, but unfortunately it only ever seems to list the front and rear transmission components, but never ever has the prop shaft and components listed for any vehicle. Not sure why.

55 mph wobble indicates a wheel issue. check the wheels they didn't replace. also check the wheels they did replace and make sure they balance out.

Depending on the frequency of vibration, it could be the wheel also.
If it is the wheel, the vibration frequency will go up with speed by this formula:

Tire circumference = 30"*pi => 2.12m
At 55mph => 24.44m / sec
=> 11 vibrations / sec
if it is wheel related (same goes for flat-spotting of tires).
Similarly, 5-10 / sec, at 23-45 mph.

Helbigtw, I did find the workshop manual and looked through there but didn't find a diagram of where this bearing is. Towards the end of the manual there is a section on the driveshaft which is where I found some info on the carrier bearing, but it seemed like it kept dealing with the rear differential and not the front driveshaft.

Hopefully the part should be in today and they can replace and see if the vibration goes away. They put new tires on all four wheels (Prada's) so they should all be balanced out and they did an alignment as well. The two new wheels are actually refurbished ones. They sent my wheels to a local shop to have them fix them and they put them back on, so I do wonder if there is some damage to the wheel that is causing this vibration.

From my understanding, a "carrier bearing" is when you have a 2 piece driveshaft (connecting the front transmission to the rear) and the bearing is between the connecting front and rear shaft.

Regarding your thinking about the wheels still being damaged - did they perform a road force balance? http://www.gsp9700.com/how/index.htm
If they road force balanced then that printout will show if the wheels are still true.

That is the description that I found as well, but from what the service manager explained the one that is bad has to do with the driveshaft that runs to the passenger front wheel. When I take it in to be replaced I am going to take a look under the vehicle and see where the part is.

Well there's the wheel bearing, but I"m wondering if there is a bearing where the right or left axle half shaft plugs into the side of the transmission housing?

Looks like it might be one of these bearings then within #6

DRIVESHAFT.jpg

So I need some more help on this one. The dealership replaced the carrier bearing but there is still a vibration coming from under the vehicle at speeds of around 55 and up. Not only can I feel the vibration, I can hear it as well and it seems to be coming from the front. It gets louder and faster when I turn to the right (changing from left lane to right lane on the higway) and slightly disappears when turning left. FYI, as part of the accident I have a couple weeks ago, the front left wheel bearing was replaced. The vibration is not constant but more of a wump...wump...wump...wump (sorry for poor description) which will speed up and slow down based on speed over 55. The CX-9 is going back into the dealership on Tuesday but I wanted to see if anyone had some ideas as to what this could be. The service manager is maybe thinking the other front wheel bearing but I've never had a wheel bearing go out on a vehicle before so I don't know what that feels like.

Thanks for any help.

did they replace the half-shaft, the drive shaft going to the right front? It's #1 in your picture above.

did they replace the half-shaft, the drive shaft going to the right front? It's #1 in your picture above.

No, just the carrier bearing. A technician used a stethoscope to listen underneath the vehicle while it was up on a rack and another technician was applied throttle to get the wheels moving and the carrier bearing is the only place they could find any noises. Now, I don't know if that is the best way to diagnose this problem, but that's what they have done thus far.

The problem is what you hear when the car is lifted might not be the same as when it is on the road.

That was a concern of mine as well Ceric. They raised the vehicle using the suspension as the jack points and let the wheels rotate freely. There wasn't any weight being applied to the wheels and therefore the drivetrain as well. I wasn't going to question their methods the first go around since it is warranty covered, but now that I have to bring it back again, I am going to be more curious as to how they diagnose the problem.

Back