Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta be the USB. The current ones will drain your phone running AA or Maps.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Why would they do that? So they can lose potential sales? They'd rather put out 'rumors' it's coming so people will buy their cars thinking it's coming at some point(kinda like what you did).

I'm not sure what the point is of signing a petition. You think they don't know people want it? They don't include it in their vehicles for reasons only known to them. Seeing as how CarPlay/AA has been around for a while now, I have a hard time believing it has to do with some kind of technical issue and more with them not wanting Apple software in their vehicles like Toyota.

I agree with you... I think the greatest frustration is Mazda's silence on the matter.

To tell you the truth, I had my hopes high. But there's no evidence that they are even beta testing CP/AA.

It's a shame that Mazda makes some fine cars, but technologically they are behind the competition. They need to overhaul their Tech department.

To show you how behind the times Mazda is; my wife can remote start, unlock and find her 2017 Ford Explorer from her phone with no issues whatsoever. Look up Mazda Mobile Start App and you will find that it has 1 and 1/2 stars review. People pay $500 for it and it doesn't work. The last update to the app was June 11, 2015. I'm not making things up. See pic below. It's version 1.0
It hasn't been updated in 2 years. This shows me their Tech dept. is in crisis mode or technology is not a priority in headquarters.

224c71735f2c26466d5f24fe817e1da9.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesus, 2 years. That's laughable, gotta admit.

I agree with you... I think the greatest frustration is Mazda's silence on the matter.

To tell you the truth, I had my hopes high. But there's no evidence that they are even beta testing CP/AA.

It's a shame that Mazda makes some fine cars, but technologically they are behind the competition. They need to overhaul their Tech department.

To show you how behind the times Mazda is; my wife can remote start, unlock and find her 2017 Ford Explorer from her phone with no issues whatsoever. Look up Mazda Mobile Start App and you will find that it has 1 and 1/2 stars review. People pay $500 for it and it doesn't work. The last update to the app was June 11, 2015. I'm not making things up. See pic below. It's version 1.0
It hasn't been updated in 2 years. This shows me their Tech dept. is in crisis mode or technology is not a priority in headquarters.

224c71735f2c26466d5f24fe817e1da9.png

Wait a second, they charge you $500 a year to give you the ability to remotely start your car? I can do that on my CRV with my key fob. Wow that sucks.

No, one time, Mango. $60/ year because it's cellular which I can understand.

Android app was just updated, riodigital. Assume you're an iPhone house? Ratings didn't improve after update though. Still horrible.
/Edit saw your screen shot. Yea, Apple. Jeez, way to ignore iPhones? Really?

2cb6bc4b18398759d3fd33ff5b5d50d6.jpg

Last edited:
It does suck AA still isn't available. Sucks that Mazda is avoiding it and putting something off that most other manufacturers are on board with.

But the reality is we still can get every feature of AA already on our phones. We can even get the actual app itself. No it's not the same but we still get live traffic, etc.

You know what you can't just get or apply in other cuvs? Great styling and a great driving experience.

I had emailed them about this exact thing a few weeks ago. Here is their reply:

"Our product planners and engineers are exploring the viability of supporting such software. However, we do not have a specific timeline that we can share for offering Apple CarPlay at this time. While we do intend to have this functionality in the future, is there any specific feature you were looking for? We recommend reviewing any news updates or announcements on our website at https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/. Feel free to reply directly to this email or contact my number below, if you have any more questions."

So youre telling me theres a chance....LOL

Ill definitely sign the petition. I have used Carplay in coworkers Tuscon and its fantastic. Eventually this will be looked back on kind of like Bluetooth etc; of COURSE cars have it!

Android app was just updated, riodigital. Assume you're an iPhone house? Ratings didn't improve after update though. Still horrible.
/Edit saw your screen shot. Yea, Apple. Jeez, way to ignore iPhones? Really?

2cb6bc4b18398759d3fd33ff5b5d50d6.jpg

Yup! Clamoring for CarPlay...

Everywhere you look, Mazda is behind in the technology area.

As I was looking at their monthly sales report, it's obvious they don't sell a lot of cars compared to Toyota or Honda. So maybe the issue is Apple / Google are asking for a high royalty since they have low sales numbers.

I really do not understand the logic here. There's 2 ruling Operating Systems in people's phones (Android and iOS). Those are the standards. It's not like there are 10 OSs and it's hard to choose which ones to support. It's not like we are asking for Windows Phone support that has 1% of usage. I really don't understand...

Just saw in Mazda's press releases that their moving a lot of personnel in headquarters. Maybe this is the beginning of good things to come. Of course, we'll see the changes 3 years from now... in time for my new lease... [emoji23]

Last edited:
It does suck AA still isn't available. Sucks that Mazda is avoiding it and putting something off that most other manufacturers are on board with.

But the reality is we still can get every feature of AA already on our phones. We can even get the actual app itself. No it's not the same but we still get live traffic, etc.

You know what you can't just get or apply in other cuvs? Great styling and a great driving experience.

I agree with your "great styling and driving experience" but long gone are the days of buying just on looks alone.

Today's tech savvy drivers are looking at the "whole" experience.

If Mazda doesn't wake up they will fall further behind today's and future drivers.

Styling gets old with time but usability last forever.

Some of you may know this already but appearently Mazda;s in China already have it.
500_wKjBwVeqkl6ACdO9AAEj7FnwJlU046.jpg

There is Youtube video of a Mazda6 in China running it as I recall.

It makes me think possibly the problem in the US is legal/red tape related. But who knows.

I agree with your "great styling and driving experience" but long gone are the days of buying just on looks alone.

Today's tech savvy drivers are looking at the "whole" experience.

If Mazda doesn't wake up they will fall further behind today's and future drivers.

Styling gets old with time but usability last forever.

Oh yeah I agree for sure. These infotainment systems are the future. Mazda needs to get on board. They are way too small to be resistant to this change.

It just doesn't make sense. Mazda connect systems takes money, time, and development. Mazda could free up all that time and resources by just implementing AA and car play. Like why waste time with it. No one wants your buggy/slow system.

If I was buying today, I'd probably look elsewhere. I mean I love my cx5 and it's more than just the lack of implementing these systems. It's Mazdas whole outlook on the technology front. Like the remote start apps. Being out on the market for multiple years and only one update. Absolutely ridiculous. They just don't care and it's hard to support a company that lacks this mentality in 2017.

They still offer great vehicles but they will continue to fail if they keep this up.

I still say this isn't THE killer app most of you think it is. Most people and, again as THE tech guy in my circle....the people that really care about this are a minority. There are a LOT of people out there (like me) just over the moon to have proper BT. I also don't want to be constantly tied to my phone. Jesus, give me some downtime, Google. LOL
Lets ask: what's great about it? Maps, #1. Is it so horrible to have my phone display the map? But clearly, most people's #1.
#2? Handsfree texting. But I ask you, why aren't we holding phone manufacturers to a higher standard? Motorola now for a few years has been including a DRIVE app in thier phones. This is one huge reason why I'm loyal to them. When my BT connects to my phone, it automatically starts. In other words, no battery impact when not using it. If I get a text while driving my Mazda, the app goes to work: "new text from wife. Would you like to hear it?" Yes. "Wife says 'blabla'. Would you like to reply?" Yes. "say your message". Message. "I think you said 'message', should I send?". Yes. Boom. Easy ******* breezy. It amazes me that the "just works" iPhone does not do this yet? Why not? Ohhhh because we want to suck you further into our ecosystem. You know that's it. Come on, people. Wake up. Stop being phone sheep Demand hands free texting. AA and ACP are only AMAZING to people addicted to thier phones.

Last edited:
I still say this isn't THE killer app most of you think it is. Most people and, again as THE tech guy in my circle....the people that really care about this are a minority. There are a LOT of people out there (like me) just over the moon to have proper BT. I also don't want to be constantly tied to my phone. Jesus, give me some downtime, Google. LOL
Lets ask: what's great about it? Maps, #1. Is it so horrible to have my phone display the map? But clearly, most people's #1.
#2? Handsfree texting. But I ask you, why aren't we holding phone manufacturers to a higher standard? Motorola now for a few years has been including a DRIVE app in thier phones. This is one huge reason why I'm loyal to them. When my BT connects to my phone, it automatically starts. In other words, no battery impact when not using it. If I get a text while driving my Mazda, the app goes to work: "new text from wife. Would you like to hear it?" Yes. "Wife says 'blabla'. Would you like to reply?" Yes. "say your message". Message. "I think you said 'message', should I send?". Yes. Boom. Easy ******* breezy. It amazes me that the "just works" iPhone does not do this yet? Why not? Ohhhh because we want to suck you further into our ecosystem. You know that's it. Come on, people. Wake up. Stop being phone sheep Demand hands free texting. AA and ACP are only AMAZING to people addicted to thier phones.

Whats ironic about this post is CarPlay/AA were invented so you DON'T have to use your phone while driving, yet you're encouraging people to use the apps on their phone instead, all the while saying people are too addicted to their phones already. Which one is it? And we get it, you don't these apps but the fact that there are numerous threads about this, numerous posts(in this very thread), people asking their dealers, people asking Mazda NA, people even signing petitions now should tell you how important it is. It's worth it for the live traffic/rerouting abilities alone, not even including all the other stuff it does.

There are many other reasons why Mazda Connect sucks compared to CarPlay:

1-Maps on CarPlay are interactive and realtime as internet data is driving it.

2-Music integration with Apple Music is tight and hands free. No need to fiddle with phone to play music.

3- I don't text while driving but could if wanted to with ease by dictating to Siri.

4-Siri is 1000 times better than the dumb Mazda voice activated system.

The issue is not wanting to have CarPlay because of texting addiction. It's about ease of use and minimizing distractions and accidents while interacting with the phone.

Safety is priceless... and that's what these systems provide.

Please understand that we already have too many distractions as we drive and software companies are now working on minimizing those distractions.

If you are in the Android or iOS ecosystems, why not have these features from Mazda?

Last edited:
Whats ironic about this post is CarPlay/AA were invented so you DON'T have to use your phone while driving, yet you're encouraging people to use the apps on their phone instead, all the while saying people are too addicted to their phones already. Which one is it? And we get it, you don't these apps but the fact that there are numerous threads about this, numerous posts(in this very thread), people asking their dealers, people asking Mazda NA, people even signing petitions now should tell you how important it is. It's worth it for the live traffic/rerouting abilities alone, not even including all the other stuff it does.

That's correct! CarPlay and AA make your life simpler.
It adds safety!

That's correct! CarPlay and AA make your life simpler.
It adds safety!

Which is even more ironic given that clearly Mazda is into driving safety(disabling touch screen use while driving). Navigating their piss poor system(ok its not thattt bad) and god awful maps, I am absolutely more in danger than if I just had AA and could say, "ok google, navigate me to the nearest McDonalds". Instead, currently I have to fiddle with their terrible POI system. Actually I just use my phone and google maps but you guys know what I am talking about regarding mazda connect maps.

Whats ironic about this post is CarPlay/AA were invented so you DON'T have to use your phone while driving, yet you're encouraging people to use the apps on their phone instead, all the while saying people are too addicted to their phones already. Which one is it?
ACP / AA were NOT 'invented' so you don't "have to use your phone". That doesn't even make sense. They were developed to help you use your phone safely while driving. And, of course, to make you love it so much you never think of switching brands. Apple and Google aren't all "pure" here: "Hey, let's help people drive safer".
Yea, they gain nothing out of this, right?
AA / ACP is... an app on your phone. Do you not understand how this works?

And I don't know how much easier I can explain the Motorola app. You don't launch it. You don't interact with your phone at all. You just... turn the car on. Then the app connects to your BT. And waits for texts. Or you can voice initiate a text. My point: why isn't this being done by Apple and Samsung? (Bixby may bring this functionality to Sammy phones). Then you could do it in ANY car. Hell, you could even do it without bluetooth.
No... Apple wants to stop you from texting apparently?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/apple-iphone-texting-drive-ios11_us_5936e033e4b0099e7fafbb93

And we get it, you don't these apps but the fact that there are numerous threads about this, numerous posts(in this very thread), people asking their dealers, people asking Mazda NA, people even signing petitions now should tell you how important it is.

And as I say every time you feel the need to argue with me, it's still a minority. I never said "no one wants this".
So argumentative... Sigh.

There are many other reasons why Mazda Connect sucks compared to CarPlay:

1-Maps on CarPlay are interactive and realtime as internet data is driving it.
You shouldn't be interacting while driving! :D

2-Music integration with Apple Music is tight and hands free. No need to fiddle with phone to play music.
3- I don't text while driving but could if wanted to with ease by dictating to Siri.
4-Siri is 1000 times better than the dumb Mazda voice activated system.
No arguments. I start my music or playlist before I leave. Or when I switch to the phone it picks up where I left off. Works great. Luckily I can voice initiate texts from my phone. I was amazed when I clicked the Mazda voice button : SEND TEXT. Mazda basically says "What does that mean?" Really? The normal method allows you to send canned replies to texts... wtf? Yea, agree that it's horrible. Is there any other car that doesn't let you send voice texts on its higher end models?

The issue is not wanting to have CarPlay because of texting addiction. It's about ease of use and minimizing distractions and accidents while interacting with the phone.
I didn't say it was 'texting addiction'. Our phones are such a part of our lives, my god, get out of my car. Give me some time away.
"Jesus, give me some downtime, Google. LOL" That was a joke. I thought it was pretty funny. I am heavily, and I mean heavily invested in the Google Ecosystem. This sounds like bragging, I am not bragging... I wouldn't brag about being a ******* nerd...but I doubt many of you are as into technology as I am. I'm sure some come close. Not only is it my job, I have a Nest, Google Home, a Roku TV (+2 other Rokus), a Fire Stick, a Chromecast connected to the TV. I also have a Tap that I don't use much. Hue Lights. A Smartwatch. I just bought a Rift, because it's $400 today. I've been using Google Voice since it was released back on Jelly Bean. Hell, even my house is keyless entry. I LOVE GOOGLE. I LOVE TECHNOLOGY. I CAN'T GET ENOUGH. I don't need Google in my car. Love ya', Goog. Don't want you there. Sure, when I need you (Maps from the phone). But the BT is good enough for that.
Sometimes... I just don't want you looking over my shoulder, Goog.

But... y'know what part of it is??? It just not good enough yet.
This kind of drives me a bit crazy... a lot of you want AA... how many of you have tried it? Because you can try it. You can try it today. You can install the app and try it on your phone... TODAY. Most of you haven't. Most of you still won't after being told again you can. "But it's not the same", you say. Actually... it is. It is EXACTLY the ******* same.
And you know what? It's kind of annoying. I don't love it. I tried it again this morning. How come every time I turn you on, AA, you want to give me directions to the bar I stopped at last night? Swipe that away, next time "Want to go to the bar again?" Swipe away. Next time "Want to go to the bar again?" Just got back from picking up lunch. Guess what AA asked me? "Need directions to the bar?" STAHHHHHPP. Now Goog is driving me to drink!
Improve the App, Goog. Maybe then I'll like it more.

Safety is priceless... and that's what these systems provide.
Yea, and the Honda infotainment system and Navi in my friends Highlander does too.
If you are in the Android or iOS ecosystems, why not have these features from Mazda?

Ok, now if you can't tell, I am really hamming it up and over exaggerating to make this long ass post not such a chore to read. And I love playing Devil's Advocate.
I am not, by any stretch, against AA/ACP. I mean, come on... NERD HERE.
However I do think we are letting the phone manufacturers and (some) car companies off too easy. I say (some) car companies because, as I said, re: the Highlander, some companies have made cars much safer. The Moto app is an example of the LEAST every single phone company should be doing. EVERY SINGLE ONE. "Yea, we want you to be safe... but only if your car company installs our software to be safe but also.... ->in the case of Google: we can follow you around and market even more great stuff to you with the best targeted ads ever! -> in the case of Apple but also to make this slick little interface that is going to make you love Apple so much you are going to be AFRAID TO LEAVE US! Mwahahahaha
:D
I promise, my friend would not switch to AA over her Highlander info system... it really is that good (also has Live Traffic). Ford's Synch has been around how long now? That's a pretty great system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back