CarPC install in 2008.5 Mazda 3 5-door GT

The Mazda 3 is a great car, but I didn't want to spend the $2000 plus for the factory navigation unit. I've had computers in my last two cars, so I decided to "geek my ride." This was a pretty straight forward install, as I used the factory head-unit for amplification.

Now, on to the computer install. I used a Navigation popup chassis from this site: http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=6&car=95&middlesmall=2:13&maker=8&volkey=

You can see pictures of my previous car's install here: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=12685&st=0#entry57067

My first CarPC install is here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show-off-your-project/77563-05-hyundai-elantra-gt-install.html

The components used in this install are listed below, some of these items are from my previous installs:

Mazda Pop-up Enclosure - $200 - Used on Ebay
7" Lilliput LED-Backlit Monitor - $231 on Ebay
CPU: IntelD945GCLF2 $85.00 - from Buy.com
VoomPC2 Enclosure $69.00 - from short-circuit.com
OS: WinXP Pro SP3 - $100.00 OEM from local computer store
Hard Drive: 120gb 2.5" Toshiba - $59.00 from local computer store
Memory: 1gb 533 DDR2 - $20.00 from local computer store
Frontend: Centrafuse - $129.00 or Roadrunner $Free
Mobile TV: Slingplayer - $149.00 Slingbox from Amazon.com
HD Radio: Directed Electronics - $49 Ebay
GPS Software: Iguidance 2009 - $89.00 Semsons.com
GPS Receiver: Holux USB - $39.00 Semsons.com
Keyboard: Mini USB - $19.00 MP3Car.com
Remote Control: Macally - $25.00 Ebay
WiFi: Dlink WUA-1340 - $19.95 Fry's
EVDO Router: Cradlepoint CTR500 - $149.00 3GStore.com
EVDO RevA Express Card: Novatel V740 (provides Internet via Verizon Wireless) $Free with 2yr Contract
Main Amp: Factory Bose - Came with Car
Subwoofer Amp: Crunch Powerzone P500.2 - $79.00 Fry's
Sub: JL Audio 8W6 - $80.00 Local Car Stereo Store - Boom Boom for the Zoom Zoom
Stealthsub enclosure - $110 MazdaForum Group Buy
Blood, Sweat, & Tears Installing - Priceless

Pictures Below:

**Overall View - Centrafuse Main Menu**
IMG_8907.JPG

**Closeup of Centrafuse Main Menu**
IMG_8913.JPG

**Trunk showing Sub Amp and VoomPC2. I had to trim the plastic for the two units to fit. The cool thing is I have full access to my spare tire, and do not loose any cargo space**
IMG_8932.JPG

**Trunk with cargo tray installed. I had to trim the cargo tray to fit around the amp and computer.**
IMG_8933.JPG

**Trunk with floor installed showing JL Sub in Stealth Enclosure**
IMG_8938.JPG

**Another trunk shot showing Cradlepoint Router and Dlink Wifi**
IMG_8937.JPG

**HD Radio and USB Hub in Glovebox**
IMG_8900.JPG

**Trunk showing sub amp before cleanup**
IMG_8868.JPG

**Trunk shot showing amp and computer before cleanup**
IMG_8866.JPG

**Glovebox removed, and showing firewall passthrough**
IMG_8702.JPG

**Firewall passthrough closeup as shown from engine compartment**
IMG_8730.JPG

**Firewall passthrough closeup as shown from passenger compartment**
IMG_8731.JPG

**Interior showing center top and glovebox removed**
IMG_8703.JPG

**New center top with pop-up cutout**
IMG_8714.JPG

**Testing monitor in pop-up tray before installing**
IMG_8715.JPG

**Showing GPS puck in pop-up tray**
IMG_8719.JPG

**Interior showing rear seat removed**
IMG_8721.JPG

Applications

**Pandora**
IMG_8983.JPG

**IGuidance 2009**
IMG_8991.JPG

**Slingbox running fullscreen showing DirecTV DVR Menu**
IMG_8992.JPG

**Slingbox showing virtual remote**
IMG_8993.JPG

**Slingbox running fullscreen**
IMG_8994.JPG

**Slingbox running inside of Iguidance 2009**
IMG_8995.JPG

**Internet Explorer**
IMG_8997.JPG

**Roadrunner using FX skin main menu**
IMG_8998.JPG

**Roadrunner using FX skin Weather**
IMG_8999.JPG

**Microsoft Foldershare - I use this to sync my music and talk radio recordings. This works both over the Wifi and EVDO.**
IMG_9001.JPG

Last edited:
Pretty sick. I was unaware that you can use a router with EVDO. I kind of thought VZW would be all over that, cutting your service for potentially using it with other people, lol. Have you run into that 5GB data limit using the Sling Player yet?

How well does the JL8w6 fit in the stealthbox enclosure? Any extra modification to get it in there? Does it sound good?

Ha ha its awesome, but surely all that cost more than $2000.

Not that i am saying it wasnt worth it as you obviously have far more functionality, but I clicked the Yen to Dollar Conversion for the pop-up unit and just about spat my coffee out...

Not that i am saying it wasnt worth it as you obviously have far more functionality, but I clicked the Yen to Dollar Conversion for the pop-up unit and just about spat my coffee out...

really? I thought it was quite affordable. 316.05 for the retractable box without Nav. Or are you looking at the motorized nav-box that comes in the US GT models? it is nearly 2K.

How well does the JL8w6 fit in the stealthbox enclosure? Any extra modification to get it in there? Does it sound good?

It didn't require any modification. The sound quality is great considering the fact it takes up no cargo space. It adds enough thump to augment the factory system.

Jarred

It cost ~$1700. I've put the cost of the components above. If you take away the Internet and Slingbox that would save around $250.

Pretty sick. I was unaware that you can use a router with EVDO. I kind of thought VZW would be all over that, cutting your service for potentially using it with other people, lol. Have you run into that 5GB data limit using the Sling Player yet?

I typically use 2-3GB a month. I don't use the Slingbox that much in the car for Safety reasons. The primary application I use is Pandora Streaming Radio and Microsoft Folder Share to keep my music and talk radio Podcasts in sync with my home computer.

Jarred

Nicely done, I had my carpc in mine for like 2 days before I got pissed and ripped it out. Was having overheating issues, and I didnt like the screen mount I had. I had the same CarPC in my previous car, and it was bad ass, worked great, but for some reason ran into all sorts of problems in my mazda. Kudos to you for keeping the stock HU.

dude that is just sick....will that work with any screen....i wanna carpc now but my only option would be a double din screen. yay or nay?

That is the most badass thing i have seen in awhile. Mad props man. Now tint the s*** out of your windows and get a good alarm system so it dosint get stolen. How much did that cost you overall (exculding sub and amp stuff)

That is the most badass thing i have seen in awhile. Mad props man. Now tint the s*** out of your windows and get a good alarm system so it dosint get stolen. How much did that cost you overall (exculding sub and amp stuff)

Please see my first post. It shows the cost of the items involved. My windows are tinted. The main reason I wanted a stock appearance was to reduce the chance of theft. The screen folds down into the dash, so it just looks like a typical Mazda 3.

Back