Carbon Fiber SRI/CAI anyone?

Riles

:
2003.5 MSP
Carbon Fiber SRI/CAI anyone? *Pics Added*

I was so excited when I heard about the company making carbon fiber plumbing for us before, but nothing has happened since November. So, I took matters into my own hands- I just finished the molds today, and am waiting on the silicon connectors and actual carbon fiber to make the first production pieces.

I was trying to hold it in until I made the first carbon fiber pieces, but I just made the pieces in fiberglass this weekend, and I'm really excited. I've attached pics of the VERY rough, VERY ugly plug (male mold), and I am confident that the first completed pieces should be done by the end of next week, assuming the carbon fiber company is good about shipping.

Once I get this going, I'll be able to offer colored carbon/kevlar, and the choice between SRI and CAI (SRI being somewhat cheaper).

Here is the beauty- I'm hoping to price the SRI at $150-$175, and the CAI at $175-$200, and that includes everything- filter, connectors...everything.

I just love the way carbon fiber looks, so I had to make it. Once the first part is complete next week, I'll drive around with the CAI on for a week or so to make sure that everything works, then I plan on offering a group buy with even lower prices to begin with.

Who's excited?

If everything works out with the CAI/SRIs, look for hard pipes and hopefully a really cheap FMIC (assuming the carbon fiber can handle the temps).

Update: These are officiall for sale! The ordering web site is www.nd.edu/~jreilly/msprotege.html It's not pretty, but it gets the job done (The site, not the intakes- they are very pretty!)

Attachments

• installday 001.jpg
    installday 001.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 618
  • installday 003.jpg
    installday 003.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 540
  • installday 004.jpg
    installday 004.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 614
  • DSC00591.jpg
    DSC00591.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 499
  • sri3.jpg
    sri3.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
Wow...looks good..You can carbon fiber yourself? Dont want to go TOO OT here but I am just wondering how do you make sure there are no bubbles or anythin in it and make it all smoother and perfect? From my experience with fiberglass that seems impossible...

Can't wait for the results, I'll be one of the first in line for either the SRI or the CAI, haven't decided which one I want yet

KzA: I'll try not to give too many of my secrets away, but it involves using a woven sleeve instead of non-contiguous pieces of fabric to make the finished part.

mazdaspeedpower: thanks for the suggestion! That totally slipped my mind. I'll get in touch with him before I start selling these.

sounds awesome! i will most definately be interested in the SRI. good work man! keep us informed!

definatly will be interested i will hold off on buying a fmic or SRI for the time being to see how this turns out

I am getting my TurboII tomorrow so I guess that puts an end to my top secret plans for my MSP for a while. I'd settle for a CAI in carbon fiber though. GET ON IT, MAKE THEM ALREADY!!

I have a quick question for everybody- I've never owned one of the aftermarket intakes- what is the common diameter for these? What diameter does everybody want?

The turbo inlet is 2.5", and the maf inlet/outlet is 2.75"... I am fine at making carbon fiber, but I'm not good at reading people's minds (uhm)

Thanks guys!

Riles said:
I have a quick question for everybody- I've never owned one of the aftermarket intakes- what is the common diameter for these? What diameter does everybody want?

The turbo inlet is 2.5", and the maf inlet/outlet is 2.75"... I am fine at making carbon fiber, but I'm not good at reading people's minds (uhm)

Thanks guys!

2.75" is pretty standard for aftermarket intakes I think. I have the AEM, it is 2.75" to match the MAF, with a reducing coupler to the turbo inlet.

Thanks peepsalot- I've decided to go with 2.75" also. I did a mock up of 2.5", and it looks rediculously small.

Back to work- my original molds were 3", and needless to say that size isn't found anywhere on the intake system. I'm still confident that I can finish by next Friday, assuming I get all of my parts! I'm still waiting on the carbon fiber, but thats ok since the molds are made of fiberglass, which I have plenty of.

Last edited:
Thought about doing this myself after my CF guys went into hiding. Subscribing.

R

Back