Car wont start after installing turbo

:
2002.5 Mazdaspeed Protege5
Took the head off as I had a blown head gasket, sent it the machine shop to get cleaned and resurfaced. Changed the gasket and bolted it back together in the correct order at the right torque setting. I believe the timing is correctly done as the marks on the cam gears line up and the motor is at TDC. After installing everything on my P5, it was time to start it. Cranked it and no start. Cranked it again for about 30 seconds and had the pedal all the way pressed and it finally turned on but would not go past 3k rpms. When I let the gas pedal go the motor turns off. There is also this loud tapping sound coming from the head. Took off the valve cover and rechecked the timing and everything seems to be lined up but I'm not really sure. I have the MSP ecu and the ssafc installed. Any help is really appreciated as I would love to have my car back again.

Recheck timing. Did you unplug the battery terminals and drain all the power out before you started it. It gives the car time to readjust/learn the extra fuel/air coming in. Hold the car till its at WOT. Then drive it around.

Worked for me when i took my turbo stuff off my p5. Vise versa? Worth a shot.

Recheck timing. Did you unplug the battery terminals and drain all the power out before you started it. It gives the car time to readjust/learn the extra fuel/air coming in. Hold the car till its at WOT. Then drive it around.

Worked for me when i took my turbo stuff off my p5. Vise versa? Worth a shot.
Turns out that when I placed the cams back in, I switched them around. Intake cam on exhaust side and exhaust cam on intake side. I switched them around and going to see if starts up today. Thanks for the reply tho

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Hopefully your valves are still okay and not bent. Valve and piston could have been in contact with each other but I could be wrong. Next time have internal parts labeled somehow that way when you install them back on you know where they go. I always double check looking back and forth to make I'm doing it right. We are only humans we forget.

Hopefully your valves are still okay and not bent. Valve and piston could have been in contact with each other but I could be wrong. Next time have internal parts labeled somehow that way when you install them back on you know where they go. I always double check looking back and forth to make I'm doing it right. We are only humans we forget.
Hopefully they didn't come in contact. If the car starts and they did come in contact, would I hear any noticeable?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I think you will be ok, if the valves are bent it will be very loud and the car will not run well at all. Trust me you will know.

Back