Car shut off and went back on.

loco21

:
Mazda Proteg 5
My P5 went off for like 15 seconds then went back on while I was driving in the interstate. Looks like there was no electricity at all during that time. The gauges went off even the radio. Had any of you guys have that problem before? The CEL lights is off so I guess there is no code to check.

if it was battery problem then itd have to be alternator too. you can disconnect battery while driving and it will be fine. so have alternator checked, check fuses and battery

if it was battery problem then itd have to be alternator too. you can disconnect battery while driving and it will be fine. so have alternator checked, check fuses and battery

No you can't. The battery can be dead, but you can't disconnect it. It's still a closed electrical system... The battery doesn't need to provide any power, but the current still has to be able to travel through the connections...

No you can't. The battery can be dead, but you can't disconnect it. It's still a closed electrical system... The battery doesn't need to provide any power, but the current still has to be able to travel through the connections...

That's correct. On the P5, the battery must remain connected for the car to stay on.

If it was the alternator then the battery light will be on so I dont think tha is the alternator. But I still going to check if it is. No I haven't disconnect the battery with the car on that could damage the alternator.

I had this happen...there was corrosion on the terminal and it was compromising the circuit. Cleaned (actually replaced) the positive cable connection and all is well.

This happened to me a couple times a while back and i figured out that the positive terminal was hitting the base of my car when i hit bumps. Make sure the battery is very secure and the terminals are clean.

ive done it to mine, guess i have a freak p5

Even if this were possible, it's about as clueless as running water through your engine to "flush" it. Disconnecting the battery while the car is running can literally cause hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars of damage to your vehicle, since the battery is responsible for grounding voltage spikes and other electrical evils.

Just don't do it. Period.

Even if this were possible, it's about as clueless as running water through your engine to "flush" it. Disconnecting the battery while the car is running can literally cause hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars of damage to your vehicle, since the battery is responsible for grounding voltage spikes and other electrical evils.

Just don't do it. Period.

Lol, I never would have thought this needed to be said...(hand)

Lol, I never would have thought this needed to be said...(hand)

Never assume that something doesn't need to be said. There's always going to be someone that is an exception to the "common sense" rule. (smash)

I had this happen...there was corrosion on the terminal and it was compromising the circuit. Cleaned (actually replaced) the positive cable connection and all is well.

I had the same problem with my car, cleaned and replaced both batt. terminals and it worked fine.

You guys were right there was the terminals. Problem has been solve. Thanks for your help.

Back