car is dead..kinda, need help ASAP

:
2003 Spicy Orange MSP, boosted Miata dead and parted
Ok so driving home from work today i went to pass a bus and gave it a little gas. seriously a little bit like prob not even 25% throttle, the car moved, felt like it misfired a little bit, like nothing crazy(most likely did)

Then it decided it didn't want to run anymore.i kept it in gear and gave it some gas, and heard a bunch of misfires and now the car can barely idle. like its barely 100rpm and the ecu throws fuel at it, idle bounces up to about 600 then back down and the cycle continues. Knowing how a car works I know only 3 things really stop a car from running, no fuel, no air, no spark

My first thought was maybe the IC piping blew off (weapon R hard pipes, custom SMIC) but they're fine. I just installed a boost gauge so thought maybe the vacuum line blew off or something, and all vacuum lines i could find are attached and no holes.

2nd' thought was spark.I just put new wires and coil packs on the car. but thought maybe a coil pack blew so i put the old coil packs and wires, same issue. Just plugged the plugs and they are fouled quite badly(dry, but black and reeks of fuel) but don't know if it was prior to or after the misfire.

I know fueling is fine because of how rich its smelling by throwing fuel at the problem, which is the only reason why the car is still running at all.

I have had a CEL on for O2 sensor and the car ran fine pretty much, but i figured maybe a new one popped up, so i checked it and still only the one code (P0131).

I disconnected the battery and I'm letting it sit over night to reset the ECU and whatnot. Plans for tomorrow are to get new plugs hook battery back up and see from there.

Anyone have any ideas?

SIDENOTE- what color are MSP injectors? i have 2 green and 2 purple....doesn't seem right...

Last edited:
wasn't paying attention to it, was more concerned with getting out of traffic.

when i tried starting it after it sat for a while. it read normal for a min, then it started bouncing when the ECU was throwing fuel at the motor

if you have an o2 code, something is obviously screwing with your AFR. I would clean the EGR and MAF (can't hurt to have that done anyway) triple check all of your boost tube, vacuum line, and intake connections, check all your o2 wiring, and see if you have a buddy who would lend you an o2 sensor for a couple days after you try the rest.

would have loved to do all this today....but of course it has to effing rain.....FML

i have a new o2 sensor i'm gonna put in, i have maf cleaner, new plugs, and i'll try the egr again too

Not sure about your mileage but if nothing else works you could check your timing to make sure you didn't jump a tooth.

CAR IS FIXED!

new plugs new o2 sensor and put the BLOWN IC COUPLER back on.....

couldn't tell last night because it was too dark. I'm so relived that its not a blown motor lol

I thought about the timing belt slipping too but since these are interference motors i'd need a new one lol

CAR IS FIXED!

new plugs new o2 sensor and put the BLOWN IC COUPLER back on.....

couldn't tell last night because it was too dark. I'm so relived that its not a blown motor lol

I thought about the timing belt slipping too but since these are interference motors i'd need a new one lol

so you did blow off a pipe.. cold or hot side?

Back