Car for sale - Get it?

PR5speed

:
2002 Mazda PR5
Hello all,

I lost the love of my life (P5) about a year ago, and still haven't gotten over it.

Anyways, below is a link to a 2003 Protege 2.0 DX 5speed. It has 127k miles.

I am familiar with a lot of things on the protege.. but just getting some more ideas.. what should I look out for?

Isn't this the year model when there were issues with the butterfly screws coming loose and ultimately frying the motor?.. or something tragically similar?

I'm finding out what the price is.. its not listed.. don't think it should be more than 4k --- thinking more around 3k.

Josh

http://www.bondautosales.com/

**aah! - it doesn't have a direct URL - but click cars, then just put mazda in search, and its the first one that pops up.**

looks like it should be an LX with the moonroof, power windows, cruise, and tachometer cluster. better for you, i guess. go to edmunds, and get a True Market Value for a DX, and negotiate from there. looks like it should be a decent runner, even with the high mileage. i wouldn't worry about the intake screws. with that many miles, the problem would have shown up and been taken care of by now. i would take off the oil fill cap and have a look inside to see how clean (or dirty) the internals are. check all over the engine for any visible oil leaks, or any visible signs of recent engine degreasing. if they have no record of the timing belt being replaced, use that as leverage. take a test drive to see if the struts are in decent shape. they are likely toast if they are original.

Depending on what they're asking for it... I got my '01 ES for $2300 and 160k on the odo two years ago. The only major thing I've had to replace was the transmission and clutch because of the first owner's negligence. Other than that I'm sitting just under 208k now on mostly all original major components. (Replaced little things along the way). But I'm still not burning oil and she's still fun as hell to drive. But yeah, things to watch out for... Check the coolant hoses, leaks start showing up around high mileage... Check the shifter for any play while driving, and check to see if the clutch is still okay. Check the sway bar end links, they go up a lot too. Replaced mine twice so far.

Rule #1: Stay away from used car lots. You will almost never see maintenance records or talk to the previous owner. That places much more of a burden on you to check every little thing, especially things that are not easily checked, like clutches. I know a guy who bought what looked like a pristine WRX at a used car lot. Not too long afterward when he changed the oil, he discovered that there was lots of sludge in the pan. The turbo was trash and who knows what else was damaged.
Many used car lots get their cars at auctions, some are police or bank auctions - cars that were repossesed from owners who couldn't make payments, let alone maintain their vehicles.

Rule #1: Stay away from used car lots. You will almost never see maintenance records or talk to the previous owner. That places much more of a burden on you to check every little thing, especially things that are not easily checked, like clutches. I know a guy who bought what looked like a pristine WRX at a used car lot. Not too long afterward when he changed the oil, he discovered that there was lots of sludge in the pan. The turbo was trash and who knows what else was damaged.
Many used car lots get their cars at auctions, some are police or bank auctions - cars that were repossesed from owners who couldn't make payments, let alone maintain their vehicles.

I found what seemed like a perfectly maintained '03 MSP last week at a dealer. I almost got it, went back and forth with myself. Turns out I couldn't get a loan but something tells me it's for the better. Regardless, the guy previously bought it brand new and took it to the dealer every 3k-4k and drove it 10k a year. But something just wasn't rubbing me the right way and reading about the headaches other MSP users have dealt with, I think I made the right choice.

You certainly don't want the same thing to happen with your next car as it did with your 01. A clutch kit isn't too expensive if you can install it, yourself, but a tranny can run into some big money.

Thanks for all the replies!

I called the guy, and the best he could offer me was 3,000 cash out the door with me trading my Lexus. HORRIBLE deal!! I told him the most I could do was 2,000.. and that was pushing it. rediculous how greedy people are.. he got that thing for dirt cheap!

not to mention his 7,000 asking price with a loan! (its $13,000 car brand new for the base model!!!)

Back