Car died and tries to start, but won't

Wakamaru

:
2000 Mazda Protege ES
My 2000 Protege ES died the other day when I was driving, just turned off completely, no power. I wasn't able too start it so I had to get it towed to my house. According to one of my neighbors, he said he had this happen to a car of his and it was the cars computer that needed to be replaced. Another neighbor said it was the alternator. I tried to start it a few days later and it wanted to turn, but it just couldn't so I had my brother try to jump my car but no dice. Months before this, my car shut off completely on the freeway when I was driving, but came back on its own. This had happened twice. So far, I guess it's either the alternator or the computer. Do you think it can be either of those problems or something else like the voltage regulator?

this happened to me about a year ago. My battery connection was bad. try looking into the connections, and possibly alternator. I am not sure about how to diagnose an ecu

A bad coil, slipped or broken timing belt, bad fuel pump, or a number of other things can also cause this issue. A mechanic would establish whether the culprit is fuel, spark, or air before isolating the exact part or connection.

A bad coil, slipped or broken timing belt, bad fuel pump, or a number of other things can also cause this issue. A mechanic would establish whether the culprit is fuel, spark, or air before isolating the exact part or connection.

Oh I see. I don't think I've had my timing belt changed or water pump replaced and it has a fair good amount of miles, 130,000ish. I had the serpentine belt replaced recently. What other potential reasons could it be? I had to replace the battery several months ago. I guess finding a bad coil might be a place to start. Thanks for the input.

this happened to me about a year ago. My battery connection was bad. try looking into the connections, and possibly alternator. I am not sure about how to diagnose an ecu

Thanks for the input. I have somewhere to start.

Back