Car Control System screen - broken/repair

db2boy

Hi all,
Finally in the UK and picked up Cosmo :)

First question, the CCS screen isn't displaying anything. The buttons beep and the lights on them for the functions light up but no display.
Simple fix or something more serious? I have no problem with taking something like this apart to tinker with *if* it's a DIY fix.

Thanks

Ant

It could be many things, but the same rules which apply to CRT repair apply to the CCS. You may have a faulty fly back transformer.

One thing that will mess up a TV repair shop is the fact that I am 95% certain that this screen uses an odd refresh rate of 24khz instead of the normal, 16khz. What this means is that the screen is designed for an odd resolution -somewhere above 320x240 and somewhere below 640 x 480. If you have every played with Sega's arcade boards like Daytona and Virtua fighter you will know exactly what I am talking about.

One of the few monitors that can display a 24khz signal is actual the old Amiga and NEC Multi-sync monitors from the early 90s. The repair shop should be able to hook up the RGB and Sync output of the CCS to one of these monitors and get sync. If that works, then the issue in on the chassis of the CRT

Thanks for the pointers guys. I'll take a look into both of these. Damn I wish I still had my Amiga monitor :)

Regards

Ant

So took the screen out and rear cover off. The 7.5 fuse is blown, replaced it and it blows again. s***! Don't have time to continue to play with it right now.

Ant

Been in deeper and stripped the unit down a lot further. Looks like Berty called it. Judging by the soot in and around the fly back transformer and the 7.5 amp fuse seems to protect this circuit it would appear
to have shorted out internally and popped. Tried googling the part number on the unit and in Japan and get nothing. Anyone know if this is available as a separate unit or a similar part. Without knowing the data sheet specs for it no idea where to start - anyone have any thoughts or experience in this area?

Thanks

Ant

Pjman said that there is a Toyota screen which is similar. Not sure about the fly-back though and whether it is comparable.

This guy is the bomb when it comes to monitor repairs...

http://www.jomac.net.au/

I reckon that some of the pokie machines might have similar fly back transformers as they are medium resolutions and touch screen.

Is there anything you don't know Berty? :) Once again many thanks for helping out, I have dropped them an email to ascertain if there is any way they can help without having to send the screen over to Australia.

Rgds

Ant

Contacted Joey, he says he not seen these before but can repair any monitor. Send him pics of the transformer etc and hopefully he can locate something similar. If not then can get a run of them made, minimum quantity is 50 pieces and likely expensive. Ill update as find out more...

Update - Joey has said no other manufacturer made these and cant locate. Between myself and my Japanese friend I seem to have tracked down one, its on its way to my friend currently. I just hope it is the transformer as even with pics sometimes things get lost in translation :)

Ant

The Toyota screen was the same but the flyback inside was different :(

That Jomac place looks like a good option - have you sent them anything or talked to them about this screen Berty?

Latest posts

Back