caliper piston question...

ARFF

:
2002 P5
Hi All,

Just a quick question....do the caliper pistons on the P5 require a compression force WITH rotation to retract them into the caliper? The reason i ask is that i just did my fiancee's VW jetta pads and had to apply a compression and a rotational force at the same time to retract them. Hopefully not the same as ours as that was a PITA!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Front calipers just need a c clamp and a block of wood or the old brake pad (that way you dont damage the piston). Back ones you remove a brass bolt and there is an allen nut that you turn to retract.

that's great! thanks! One more question though...with the back brakes, does removing the brass nut and turning the allen screw evacuate any brake fluid?

if you are asking will you have to bleed the brakes then no, but you will have to readjust them to the proper tension. there is a good how-to on this

no brake fluid is evacuated......The write up as previously stated is very helpful.....I think its in the how to section...

you have all been so helpful, however I have been having a hard time finding the how to through the search function. Does anyone happen to have a link?

Muchas Gracias!

Back