CAI and ECU chip?

2Noob4U

Buying a 2010 CX9 tomorrow. I've been searching around on how to get some better gas mileage and increase the HP.

Not sure if any of you are using CAI's on your CX9's and what you like/dislike?

Also I'd kind of like to change the Computer Chip if it doesn't void the warranty.

Anyway let me know what my options are and maybe post some web links for me to get on the right track.

If neither of these things really effect the performance or there is something I need to know ahead of time feel free to let me know.

CX-9 takes in air from outside (right below the hood's front edge).
I have an OBD-II device that monitors the intake air temp. It is consistently within 1-2 degree
of outside air temp (shown in CX9). Can't be much colder than that.
If you want a cone style intake, and take in air inside the hood, I doubt it will be any colder, but
I could be wrong.

A chip could void certain warranty if the dealer can prove it is related to the failure (Moss-Magnuss Act). It mostly likely increases HP by increasing the fuel/air ratio, therefore, decreasing MPG.
You might even have emission/smog check issue - watch out.

One easy and safe step I took was installing K&N to improve the response.
(not MPG, 'mind you)
Even that is debatable among people on this forum.... to each one's own.

Thanks for the info. You are using a KN Air Filter on your vehicle? Is there much difference HP wise?

I also don't live in an area with emission restrictions. Are there any computer chips available that you can remove? (ie. I sell the car) Or do you have to modify stuff to make them work? Just thought the questions were worth asking.

I hope my questions haven't been answered already.

CX-9 takes in air from outside (right below the hood's front edge).
I have an OBD-II device that monitors the intake air temp. It is consistently within 1-2 degree
of outside air temp (shown in CX9). Can't be much colder than that.
If you want a cone style intake, and take in air inside the hood, I doubt it will be any colder, but
I could be wrong.

A chip could void certain warranty if the dealer can prove it is related to the failure (Moss-Magnuss Act). It mostly likely increases HP by increasing the fuel/air ratio, therefore, decreasing MPG.
You might even have emission/smog check issue - watch out.

One easy and safe step I took was installing K&N to improve the response.
(not MPG, 'mind you)
Even that is debatable among people on this forum.... to each one's own.

Thanks for the info. You are using a KN Air Filter on your vehicle? Is there much difference HP wise?

I also don't live in an area with emission restrictions. Are there any computer chips available that you can remove? (ie. I sell the car) Or do you have to modify stuff to make them work? Just thought the questions were worth asking.

I hope my questions haven't been answered already.
I've not dyno-tested it, and don't plan to. So, no idea about HP gain.
However, several users here can attest that you can feel the faster engine responses to acceleration, especially at higher RPMs.
I, however, did pay attention to MPG, and did not find any differences.

Check for chips that work on Ford Duratec 3.5L. Chances are they might also work for Mazda CX-9's MZI 3.5/3.7.

I've not dyno-tested it, and don't plan to. So, no idea about HP gain.
However, several users here can attest that you can feel the faster engine responses to acceleration, especially at higher RPMs.
I, however, did pay attention to MPG, and did not find any differences.

Check for chips that work on Ford Duratec 3.5L. Chances are they might also work for Mazda CX-9's MZI 3.5/3.7.

My mpg went up 1 - 2 with the K&N, from what I can tell. I noticed that the short trips (1 -2 miles) it eats a lot of gas on this vehicle. I took my lunch to work this week and normally I use 3/4 a tank or more on 5 60 mile round trips with lunch trips of <2 milers. I cut out the lunch trips this week and 4 days in, I was at 1/2 tank instead of 3/4 plus tank.

Latest posts

Back