Cadillac Converter

cboe's_mp5

:
Mazda, Mazda 3
Well I installed OBX headers a couple of months ago and when I was pulling out the manifold the CADILLAC CONVERTER was next to it so now I need to find a new one do you have a recommendation

asap.

When you use an OBX header, you lose the first cat. You could mount another one downstream but not much point. Is this what you are talking about?

hehe.... cadillac converter...trying to turn the P5 into a deville or something? :p

bradicus18 said:
When you use an OBX header, you lose the first cat. You could mount another one downstream but not much point. Is this what you are talking about?

yes.

it is a 10,000 fine in washington i have heard if you get caught with out one so i need to replace my reinator with a catalyic.

i have also heard that not having it reduces back pressure and could prevent lower rpm horse power. pluss my engine could cool down too fast. and last i want to get rid of the check engine light

You can get rid of your CEL with the spark plug non-fouler mod: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98488&highlight=spark+plug+fouler+obx

Mine:
Header.jpg

This has to be the thread of the day!(headbang)

Get the nonfouler at Autozone. It is called a spark plug non fouler and it is out on the shelves. There is a DIY that can be found through AMAFF's link.

I thought someone had done a P5 to Cadillac mod but wow was I wrong.

Yup, you can do either the spark plug nonfouler or mil eliminator with the resistors and what not. The nonfouler is easier.

been running a non fouler catless for over 2 years...no CEL... only cost $3 for the part :D

Too keep things "legal" use the front pipe from a MSP ,that is what I did . I have never had a CEL . The fit was perfect ,the only thing you have to do is extend the wiring for the 2nd O2 sensor . The header I am using id a Genie which has a blue coating .
Picture013.jpg

evilmonkeyMSP said:
been running a non fouler catless for over 2 years...no CEL... only cost $3 for the part :D

I take mine off when I clean my EGR valve and clean it too. Helps keep the carbon buildup under control.

cboe's_mp5 said:
yes.

it is a 10,000 fine in washington i have heard if you get caught with out one so i need to replace my reinator with a catalyic.

i have also heard that not having it reduces back pressure and could prevent lower rpm horse power. pluss my engine could cool down too fast. and last i want to get rid of the check engine light

i DOUBT it's $10k fine, but w/e... the only way anyone can tell if you are missing a cat is by looking under your car... i say just take the gamble that ur not going to have to have a cop crawling under your car and try not to get caught at any street races (which is where they get really anal about that type of thing and give you tickets for everything)

my $.02

PS lots of people don't run either cat

Back