Cabin Air Filter & Glove Box Removal

Yeah, but he's OK, he's an Aussie gorilla! Or make that, a big Red Roo!

Thanks for the "how to" anyway!

I checked the Aussie's website and their filters look good, but unclear whether they can be cleaned and resued or not. They are also priced at $50 each. From a quick google, it looks like thats similar to what Mazda charges here for the OEM version.

So can anyone recommend a source for aftermarket filters/makes that are good? I can then check to see if we can get them here.
Saw Mazda Genuine cabin filter (KD45-61-J6X) selling for as low as ~$17USD each on eBay. New Value Line cabin filter (KD45-61-J6X-MV) costs a couple of bucks less. To me, this cabin filter is just for us not for CX-5, hence I'd get cheap $9 filter from WalMart、OEM from Mazda、or simply just wash it and whatever I feel like it!

Now I saw some pictures of KD45-61-J6X and they all look white without charcoal! I begin to wonder may be my cabin filter is really full of black dust! (boom07)

Genuine looks to me like its carbon free:

71af%2BjCoxSL._SL1500_.jpg

But here's one that's labeled premium which has carbon, costs less but isn't OEM:

91IMVE01CyL._SL1500_.jpg

Yep, no charcoal on OEM. I'll make a trip to my dealer checking out this cabin filter on new CX-5 and see if the filter comes with charcoal from factory. Mine really looks like charcoal filter and I've seen plenty. I'd prefer charcoal cabin filter for more effictive odor removal.

Our 2-year-old 2016 CX-5 has only 17,315 miles on it and the cabin filter looks fine to me. I only cleaned up the leaves and some dirt. Chris_Top_Her did "wash" his cabin filter and re-use it, I do believe he just hosed filter with water, not washing machine! But that could wash off the charcoal. I may just replace it with OEM cabin filters said 30,000 mile interval.

The OEM filter is disposable, and not made to reuse.

I can not imagine many people wanting to WASH one of these OEM filters... Mold, fungus, allergens, dust, oil, unknown contaminants, and animal debris... Please for your health and your fellow occupants, just buy a new one.

Mazda "Genuine" Cabin Air Filter are Different from Factory Cabin Filter!

Yep, no charcoal on OEM. I'll make a trip to my dealer checking out this cabin filter on new CX-5 and see if the filter comes with charcoal from factory. Mine really looks like charcoal filter and I've seen plenty. I'd prefer charcoal cabin filter for more effictive odor removal.
Went to my Mazda dealer and pulled the cabin filter out from a brand new 2016.5 CX-5 Touring in the showroom. The cabin filter from factory is indeed a charcoal filter as I suspected. This means my 17,315-mile cabin filter is not as dirty as I thought! Many people may actually throw away a perfectly fine charcoal cabin filter too early as it looks black and dirty comparing to the white "genuine" charcoal-free cabin filter from Mazda dealers.

attachment.php

2016.5 Mazda CX-5 New Cabin Filter_02.jpg

Thx yrewi52- I was going to price one at the dealer next week when I go in for a new inspection sticker, and to ask about the rear brakes squealing (per my other thread you've seen).

Mazda Cabin Filter Comparison

Thx yrewi52- I was going to price one at the dealer next week when I go in for a new inspection sticker, and to ask about the rear brakes squealing (per my other thread you've seen).
Went to Mazda dealer yesterday and took more pictures on 2016.5 CX-5's new charcoal cabin filter from factory, Mazda genuine non-charcoal cabin filter with P/N KD45-61-J6X, and Mazda Value Products non-charcoal cabin filter with P/N KD45-61-J6X-MV. From the comparison picture below we can see the picture you posted earlier is Value Products with white plastic frame instead of black. Value Products cabin filter is about $10 cheaper than Mazda Genuine Parts on list price.

attachment.php

View attachment 216193

The 2nd video posted by Mazdadude, and the one by Tomcat1446 is the one I viewed as a simple precaution.

I'll watch the other method video in a bit (new browser doesn't work well with YouTube).

ColoradoDriver- you'll probably save yourself $50-100 doing it yourself. Its one of the easiest money makers for a dealership maintenance department.
Matter of fact I just left dealer , got my normal service but cabin air filter was black so I had them go ahead and change it.. $28 for the filter, $20 for labor.

Went to Mazda dealer yesterday and took more pictures on 2016.5 CX-5's new charcoal cabin filter from factory, Mazda genuine non-charcoal cabin filter with P/N KD45-61-J6X, and Mazda Value Products non-charcoal cabin filter with P/N KD45-61-J6X-MV. From the comparison picture below we can see the picture you posted earlier is Value Products with white plastic frame instead of black. Value Products cabin filter is about $10 cheaper than Mazda Genuine Parts on list price.

attachment.php

View attachment 216193

Well that's kind of confusing... lol

Mazda Cabin Filter

Well that's kind of confusing... lol
Unfortunately Mazda North American Operations don't bring in charcoal filter installed in the factory to the US. Without activated charcoal/carbon I thought the "Genuine Parts" OEM cabin filter is definitely overpriced!

Worse, people see white non-charcoal Mazda genuine OEM cabin filter and would think their factory black charcoal filter is too dirty (see Tccox post above) and make unnecessary replacement with a inferior non-charcoal OEM filter. What a waste!

Gads, me thinks I've been had. But did the 16 models come with a charcoal filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mazda CX-5 Cabin Filter

Gads, me thinks I've been had. But did the 16 models come with a charcoal filter?
I pulled the cabin filter out from my 2-year-old 2016 CX-5 with 17,315 miles. It's a charcoal filter. It has leaves and other debris. The filtering element looks black but not much worse than the one I checked in a new 2016.5. I'm pretty sure my cabin filter can last up to recommended 30,000 mile interval.

For 2017 and later (I have a 2018), the glove box door damper attachment has changed a bit from what's pictured in the online tutorials.

It's a full circle, so it is removed by pulling it to the right (for cars with right-seat driver, I assume it's the reverse).

I found the easiest way to get it off the post was to twist it a little as you pull to the right, sort of like removing a tire from a wheel. That lets you get it started in one spot.

As for getting the side stops clear of the opening, I found that a combination of pushing in the top middle of the back of the glove box and squeezing the side inward worked well. You can do one side at a time that way.

IJjBzv2.jpg

mmpLVql.jpg

Back