C-19 Storage?

:
mazda
I have been driving the car once a month just to ensure engine oil does not get moisture - so I drive to shops and back!
Is starting the engine and idle is good enough - if so how long should it run?
Incidentally, I hear more wear & tear is at idle!

With the insurance renewal coming, considering removing Collision coverage - other is increasing the deductible to the max of $1.5k (just a $25 saving).

Geico would not give me the 15% discount again - while other insurers are continuing!

Any other ideas?

Update:
This is because of the pandemic - so next yr it will change.

Last edited:
Once a month? If this is not your grocery getter, consider selling it. Not only less stuff means less stress and spending, you can always get another car later and you may like it better.

If the car is not going away, I would put some fuel stabilizer in the tank or only have your tank fill to 1/4 so you will need to get gas at least once every two month. Also put the battery on trickle charger to ensure cold morning start for the winter. The moisture in the engine will be gone by the time the engine warms up from idling so you don't even need to drive the car. I would move the car a little to avoid pressure spots of the tires though. More wear and tear is at each engine start, not idle. Mazda5 has port injection so there is no carbon buildup issue like the GDI only engines. But the alcohol inside the gasoline is not good if the fuel is too old.

I think it is a good idea to get up to speed, say at least 55 mph, and drive around for about 15 minutes once per week to get the car fully heated up. It's good to get out of the house for a drive once in awhile for the good of the mental fluids as well, don't you think?

I think it is a good idea to get up to speed, say at least 55 mph, and drive around for about 15 minutes once per week to get the car fully heated up. It's good to get out of the house for a drive once in awhile for the good of the mental fluids as well, don't you think?
I think so - I used to enjoy driving - I still do!

Back