2017~2024 Buying Rental. Good or bad?

Mine was in great shape. Flawless interior and normal exterior.

Depends on the rental place and where it was rented. Always exceptions to the rule but most rental vehicles see a hard life. Some vehicles/drive trains are more susceptible to failure if not maintained correctly. Others can be maintained poorly but still live a long life. It all depends on how the well built and sensitive the drive train is to abuse and poor maintenance. I'm not sure on how the SkyActiv drive train is to poor service life and heavy abuse?

When people rent vehicles, they eat and drink inside the car. Kids spill food and drinks, dogs are put inside. Some are still smoked in but that's slowly phasing away.

I have yet to see a new rental vehicle that doesn't have dents and scratches. Plus most are washed using poor washing methods so there are swirl marks and clear coat scratches galore by 20,000 miles.

Yes, one can find a nice used rental vehicle but that's rare. Depends on location, where it was rented and driven to, how many miles, and how strong the drive train is to neglect and abuse. The amount of $ you save on buying a used rental can be better spent on just finding a used vehicle through private party sale.

I can't remember if it was Anchorman, or someone else who had rented a CX-5 and it was low on oil, engine bay was a mess. Etc. Hearing stories like that always makes me wary and questioning that they were properly maintained. That said, I could probably levy that attitude towards any used car, rental or not.

I also know a lot of people who beat the crap out of rentals. I've seen it.

In my opinion a rental car stands a higher chance of being mistreated by idiots than an owner with a financial investment in the vehicle. Reminds me of when I traveled with a co-worker many years ago in the dead of winter in Connecticut. This guy gets in our trusty Ford Taurus one morning with 2 ft of snow and temps in the low single digits, starts the engine and pins it to the floor for a full 30 seconds to "warm it up" as I watched in disbelief and despite my protests. Rental cars might be maintained on schedule but you have no way of knowing how it was treated. Like the old joke says, what's the fastest car on the road?

I won't ever buy a rental.

I had a rental CX-5 for ~2/3 months back when my Mazda 3 was totaled. I got it 1,000kms before a regular oil change would be do, but shrugged my shoulders (I drive a lot).

The gear icon came on 1,000km late (per schedule) about the 3rd week I had it. I called the rental place to see if they wanted me to bring it in or even take it somewhere to get the oil change done. They told me just to keep driving it. Who am I to argue?

I put 3,000km more on that thing before it went back. I told them about it again when it went back and they said "it'll get looked at when we're slow".

Yikes, no rentals for me... ever.

At an emotional level a previous rental feels like a riskier choice - but the facts don't support this. Previous rentals are no better or worse than any other used car. You still need to inspect the interior and exterior. You still need to test drive the car and possibly have an independent mechanic inspect it. Fact: Mainline rental companies inspect and maintain their cars as good or better than a private owner. And if there are any repairs or accidents they get reported so a VIN history is more likely to show this - versus a private owner who might avoid an insurance claim or perform their own repairs.
Yes we have all driven rental cars hard - but not so much as to cause lasting damage unless you had an accident.
The great thing about a low mileage, 1-2 years old "new" used car is that they have depreciated so you pay less and still enjoy a relatively new car that will last probably longer than you want to keep it. Lots of new used cars will be previous rentals or leases. Your choice to buy new or used but I'm calling BS to those writing off previously rented cars as a bad choice.

The bottom line: all used cars can be equally risky. Lease, rental, or private. Depends on each individual vehicle. And they cost less.
New cars have warranties, no history, cost more. And they feel so good.
You can have trouble whichever you choose. Good luck.

Previous rentals are no better or worse than any other used car. You still need to inspect the interior and exterior.
Fact: Mainline rental companies inspect and maintain their cars as good or better than a private owner.
Yes we have all driven rental cars hard - but not so much as to cause lasting damage unless you had an accident.
Your choice to buy new or used but I'm calling BS to those writing off previously rented cars as a bad choice.

Where are you getting your "facts"?

Previous rentals are absolutely worse than many (though not all) used cars.
The most desirable traits of a used car are...one-owner, adult-driven, maintenance records provided, garage-kept, no smoking, ect.

None of these apply to former rental cars...
- An ex-rental has had upwards of 50-80 different "owners" over its life. Who wants to buy an 80-owner car?
- Based on simple statistics, it is a certainty that a % of these owners have smoked in the car, done drugs in the car, along with other more colorful activities.
- Virtually none of these owners care about proper engine break-in procedure, transmission use, scratches, dents, stains, ect. I'd hate to shine a black light in a former rental!
- It spends it's entire life exposed to elements and comes with no record of maintenance

It is absolutely NOT a fact that "rental companies inspect and maintain their cars as good or better than a private owner." This is laughable.
- When my uncle was younger, he worked at a well-known rental company, and they abused the cars as badly as the customers did. He told some real horror stories from both customers and employees.
- The only "maintenance" done during that one year and 20K miles is 2 or 3 oil changes. Nothing else. And there is no record of what was done.
- Why do you think companies get rid of their rentals after just one year? So they don't have to worry about maintenance, and because the cars are already getting worn out by then.

The bottom line: all used cars can be equally risky. Lease, rental, or private. Depends on each individual vehicle. And they cost less.
New cars have warranties, no history, cost more. And they feel so good.
You can have trouble whichever you choose. Good luck.

Yeh, but as I commented before, low mileage used cars are really not that much cheaper (lingering Cash for Clunkers effect?) Then factor in the interest rate on used car loans versus dealer financing incentives, and the monthly payments are pretty darned close.

When I started looking last year, I found that low mileage (10,000 mile) 2016 CX-5 GTs were about $25,000.
A new 2018 CX-5 GT list price was $31,500.

Payments on the 2016 @ 4% (at the time) for 5 years and zero down were $460. Total financed cost $27,625.
Payments on the 2018 @ 0% (at the time) for 5 years and zero down were $525. Total financed cost $31,500.

That's only a difference of $65 a month for a brand new car (assuming one has the budget for the difference).
And then there are other model-specific considerations, such as enhanced soundproofing on later model year CX-5s.
Of course, the math changes if you go for a higher mileage used car.

Financing incentives have changed since then. Mazda no longer has 0% financing, but other manufacturers still do.
And on some models, Mazda is currently offering under 2% while the rates on used are now 4.5% to 5.0%.

I'd say that both you and DAVMAC have exaggerated you positions. What maintenance, beyond oil changes, is required in the first 20k miles? Nothing, according to my owners manual. Yes, many renters drive them hard, but not everyone does. I'd say the reality lies somewhere in between the two opinions.

That said, especially with the prices stated, I would NOT consider buying a former rental.

Where are you getting your "facts"?

Previous rentals are absolutely worse than many (though not all) used cars.
The most desirable traits of a used car are...one-owner, adult-driven, maintenance records provided, garage-kept, no smoking, ect.

None of these apply to former rental cars...
- An ex-rental has had upwards of 50-80 different "owners" over its life. Who wants to buy an 80-owner car?
- Based on simple statistics, it is a certainty that a % of these owners have smoked in the car, done drugs in the car, along with other more colorful activities.
- Virtually none of these owners care about proper engine break-in procedure, transmission use, scratches, dents, stains, ect. I'd hate to shine a black light in a former rental!
- It spends it's entire life exposed to elements and comes with no record of maintenance

It is absolutely NOT a fact that "rental companies inspect and maintain their cars as good or better than a private owner." This is laughable.
- When my uncle was younger, he worked at a well-known rental company, and they abused the cars as badly as the customers did. He told some real horror stories from both customers and employees.
- The only "maintenance" done during that one year and 20K miles is 2 or 3 oil changes. Nothing else. And there is no record of what was done.
- Why do you think companies get rid of their rentals after just one year? So they don't have to worry about maintenance, and because the cars are already getting worn out by then.

There is a big difference between a rental vehicle and a leased vehicle. Rental vehicles are maintained with the bare minimum preventative maintenance required; Just like most other fleet vehicles. A leased vehicle is maintained (typically) at the leasing dealership in hopes the lessee may end up purchasing the vehicle. If not, then the dealership has all the maintenance records and can usually stand behind it and sell it as a certified pre-owned. Like someone else mentioned, the fact that the dealer isn't selling a one year old vehicle as a CPO is a big red flag.

There is a big difference between a rental vehicle and a leased vehicle. Rental vehicles are maintained with the bare minimum preventative maintenance required; Just like most other fleet vehicles. A leased vehicle is maintained (typically) at the leasing dealership in hopes the lessee may end up purchasing the vehicle. If not, then the dealership has all the maintenance records and can usually stand behind it and sell it as a certified pre-owned. Like someone else mentioned, the fact that the dealer isn't selling a one year old vehicle as a CPO is a big red flag.

Interesting point.

I also view leases as being part of a coporation's fleet for executives and sales staff to drive. Those are done through 3rd party leasing companies (kind of like you lease copiers), not dealerships.

Hi all,
really want to get CX-5 GT. Found 2018 gt for good price but it was a rental vehicle, with 26k miles now. OTD $23,600.
Dealer says its actually good and that usually those vehicles are maintained good. I have the opposite opinion. People don't care about rentals and drive them harsh. I am one of them (donuts in mustang on a closed road).
What do you all think? Should i be concerned getting car with rental history?
thanks

If you mean dealer rental, like a loaner, I wouldn't be too worried about that. I have a BMW former loaner, and it's been great.

If you mean like a Hertz, there's no way I'd do that.

My own personal opinion is that most people--especially for a vehicle like a CX-9--are more likely to baby a dealer loaner. Particularly if it is their regular dealer. I don't think people feel the same way about a plain old rental car.

YMMV.

Does it still come with the balance of the factory warranty?

Back