Buying a navigation SD card together for 2016 CX-5

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanchenLi

:
CX-5
I just get my CX-5 Sport with rear camera package, and I am trying to get the navigation working by some hacking.
I think this SD card should work
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

The part number is BHP1 66 EZ1C

For those who already have navigation on 2016 CX-5, can you give me your part number on your SD card?
For sport+package owner and touring w/o package owner, have you tried this?

And are there anyone who want to buy this together and shared it? I am a computer science student. If it works on my car, I am confident that I will duplicate the card and get it working on yours.

Currently, my idea is

The SD card costs $275. I will pay $75 first by myself. Then everyone including me splits the remaining $200

If the SD card doesn't work, no one gets his money back since the SD card is not refundable. I will take a photo of the error message, and I can give you a copy of SD card if you want.
If the SD card works on mine but doesn't on yours, I will refund you money since it seems my fault failing to make copy of SD card.

Is it really as simple as putting in an SD card? I would think maybe something else is different too like a missing GPS antenna or something?

Is it really as simple as putting in an SD card? I would think maybe something else is different too like a missing GPS antenna or something?

Now, without a sd card, if I choose nav, I can still get facing direction and GPS position. So I believe nothing in hardware, just software. Maybe SD card and some software hack
Can you tell me your SD card part number pls?

The SD card itself is not special in any way, it's the information on it that is tied to the cars vin number and NAV serial number. You are correct that your car already has the hardware installed for the NAV to function properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
The SD card itself is not special in any way, it's the information on it that is tied to the cars vin number and NAV serial number. You are correct that your car already has the hardware installed for the NAV to function properly.

Good morning.
According to other people, the infomatain system will put a VIN-lock on the SD card so that it only works on my card.
So I will make a full disk sector to sector image after getting it before inserting it on my car.
I believe it should work.

I made a copy of my SD card (only for my own backup purposes; I keep the original with my paperwork at the house and drive with the copy in the car) using WinRAR; just put all files and folders into an archive and then unpack the archive onto a different SD card. I got the cheapest 8MB card I could find and formatted it with FAT32. The copy was accepted by my car without any problems/issues and has also already been updated using the Mazda ToolBox.

Just FYI. I don't think you need to copy sector by sector which I'd imagine would take quite a long time.

I made a copy of my SD card (only for my own backup purposes; I keep the original with my paperwork at the house and drive with the copy in the car) using WinRAR; just put all files and folders into an archive and then unpack the archive onto a different SD card. I got the cheapest 8MB card I could find and formatted it with FAT32. The copy was accepted by my car without any problems/issues and has also already been updated using the Mazda ToolBox.

Just FYI. I don't think you need to copy sector by sector which I'd imagine would take quite a long time.

Thanks. I may make both and try if file copy works. Just want to make sure since the SD card costs $275

If you make the copy before you drive 100km (62 miles), can you upload the backup?

Last edited:
I made a copy of my SD card (only for my own backup purposes; I keep the original with my paperwork at the house and drive with the copy in the car) ....
excellent idea (2thumbs), just did the same but restored a new backup to the new sd card - works a charm,

and made a new back up with mazda toolbox to laptop storage - which is archived with hdd back up weekly anyways
... after just partially rebuilding hdd after a partial melt a week or so ago - better to be safe x 3 (or 4) than sorry

Last edited:
i confirmed with the sales person when he was delivering the car that all we need is the SD card for the navigation to work, he emailed a https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) to me afterwards. Part number is 1 letter off from yours though, not sure what difference that makes.

I get basic the same description on mine item. My guess is that my map is newer version.
Anyway, I already made the order. Let's see if I can get it working

So any SD NAV card with <62 miles becomes a master for use with any vehicle with that unit? I'm not sure they would leave such a large loop hole.

So any SD NAV card with <62 miles becomes a master for use with any vehicle with that unit? I'm not sure they would leave such a large loop hole.

People will easily go over 62 miles before backing up their SD card.
And maybe those dealers have other additional method to lock the SD card besides having it run more than 62miles

So if I understand right, if I backup the SD card <62 miles it will work on ANY car, but if I back it up after 62 miles, the backup will only work with my VIN?

I agree it seems to be a large loop-hole. You would think it would lock with only 1 mile or something so it's locked to the VIN upon delivery.

So if I understand right, if I backup the SD card <62 miles it will work on ANY car, but if I back it up after 62 miles, the backup will only work with my VIN?

I agree it seems to be a large loop-hole. You would think it would lock with only 1 mile or something so it's locked to the VIN upon delivery.

That's exactly what I meant

Final Results:
The one I bought from the Ebay link works perfectly on my car.
I am facing some difficulties duplicating them, but I will work them out in the end.
I may sell the duplicated sd card on ebay and provide a big discount for the existing member of this forum.

Hello Hanchen...you do know that it's illegal to sale your duplicated copies anywhere right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back