Buying a downpipe, worth changing turbo manifold while im at it? Anything else?

91Protege

:
91 Protege LX, 03 Mazdaspeed Protege
So I should be gettin a nice downpipe from a user here, and was wondering if I should get a turbo manifold to change while im at it. Im pritty sure I have 2 bolts broken on my manifold already as I hear it in the AM, and 2 of my brothers fell out. Anything else I should do while I have the turbo out?

i would do it if you have the money. when i installed my gt28rs and downpipe i wish i would have bought a turbo mani too

from my information that is about it, there are others made or out there like the thunder, MAM, 505, a few others maybe..but chances of finding one are kinda of slim. you could always get a custom built one at your local shop to save you money steedspeeds new are like 650

I dont think there are any shops around me that would make a manifold, looks like im a be looking for a steedspeed. I can fild for 700, where for 650?

damn im in the same boat as you but im not ready to drop almost 700 dollars on a mani.. plenty of other stuff needed at the moment but yet i said that when i dropped 1k on coilovers hmmmmm

from my information that is about it, there are others made or out there like the thunder, MAM, 505, a few others maybe..but chances of finding one are kinda of slim. you could always get a custom built one at your local shop to save you money steedspeeds new are like 650

Thunder has a new version out, and there is a group buy going on right now so if you PM Protephile he may have an extra spot. MAM is by far the best for our car according to dyno sheets, but they are hard to find. Also, 505 did not make a turbo manifold, only an intake manifold. Though if you get one of those you would be a happy camper.

The easiest way to install a new downpipe is to remove the manifold, turbo and s-pipe all at once. That way you can bolt them together out of the car, then just mount it to the block, hook up the turbo lines and bolt the exhaust together and BAM instant sexiness.

more than likely, the bolts backed out because they weren't torqued properly. the MSP is very selective about its torque pattern

I suggest you wait for the dyno result on my latest design. Michele has it in her hands now and already has the before dyno done so we just have to wait for the result from the change. At least then you can see exactly what you are getting for your money.

Thunder has a new version out, and there is a group buy going on right now so if you PM Protephile he may have an extra spot. MAM is by far the best for our car according to dyno sheets, but they are hard to find. Also, 505 did not make a turbo manifold, only an intake manifold. Though if you get one of those you would be a happy camper.

The easiest way to install a new downpipe is to remove the manifold, turbo and s-pipe all at once. That way you can bolt them together out of the car, then just mount it to the block, hook up the turbo lines and bolt the exhaust together and BAM instant sexiness.

sh*t your right idk what i was thinking last night, 505 only has an IM my bad lol and i know thunder came out with the v3 or whatever but i havent heard great things about the previous two so why should anyone trust this one will be any beter. to me the thunder is happy medium. if anyone wants to back up there thunder manifold do so because im curious myself im not bashing it im just saying i never heard good things about them

I suggest you wait for the dyno result on my latest design. Michele has it in her hands now and already has the before dyno done so we just have to wait for the result from the change. At least then you can see exactly what you are getting for your money.

I am curious to see this. I am looking into getting one in a couple months but I want something that is proven for the money, steedspeed was going to be my first choice. I dont have a problem spending 700 dollars or whatever it may be on something with proven results.

The only way your going to find a MAM is a previous owner selling a used one and if you can get your hands on one than dont let it pass you by. It will not by cheap the last used one I know of went for almost 800 andfrom my understanding those were the best to date, maybe steedspeeds will be better

Flow test was really good. It scavenged well on all cylinders with no reversion. By that I mean if you blow air into any of the ports and held paper in front of the others the paper would get sucked into the cylinders not exhausting.

Back