Bumper cover attachment (2013 M5)

:
Mazda 5
A couple of weeks ago a VERY elderly gentleman had difficulty negotiating his way into the parking spot next to where I was parked. (I've only had the car for 5 months!!!) The end result for me was a popped open and scuffed up driver's side rear bumper cover. I visited his insurance adjuster yesterday and because they said they can't do anything with the scuffs they'll pay to replace the entire cover. Barring unseen internal damage the bottom line was some $670. Well, lo and behold, when I get home I wet my finger and rubbed one of the scuff marks and it disappeared! I'll try again with a bit of simple green and a soft cloth on the rest of them at some point. If the scuffs come off that easily then...

So my question is, how is the bumper cover attached to the side body panel? How do they clip together? As it is now it just appears as though the seam simply popped open and could be re set with a firm knock with a fist. Only a portion of the top of the seam, with a series of square holes is visible. (witnesses said the bumper opened up then came back together. I might very well have noticed it until much later had witnesses not told me about it when I returned to my car).

Anyone have any experience with this type of thing?

I whacked my front bumper on some ice recenty. To pop the dent back out I had to remove some fasteners, and it had the same click-and-clip system you're describing along the seam. I just pulled it out and then popped it back when I was done. Obviously, not an expert opinion, but I'm satisfied it's secured.

The real bumper beneath the fascia is an arrangement of styrofoam and collapsable steel intended to absorb the impact of a collision. If this was impacted, the effectiveness of the bumper is compromised. For piece of mind, you might want to inspect the area to see if the styrofoam or steel was dented or cracked.

I know what you mean about the foam, as I encountered that when my Accord was bumped from the rear. What I'm taking as a good sign in this instance is that there is absolutely no evidence what so ever of denting to the bumper cover. I already have an appointment at a body shop so I'm hoping an inspection doesn't reveal any underlying damages.

I had a Civic that got rear ended, the bumper cover buffed out, but the foam absorber needed to be replaced. Definitely get it looked at as others have said.

If you want money from the incident don't remove anymore of the scuffs, the body shop estimate will be only for what they can see, they do not remove anything for an estimate.

A couple of weeks ago a VERY elderly gentleman had difficulty negotiating his way into the parking spot next to where I was parked. (I've only had the car for 5 months!!!) The end result for me was a popped open and scuffed up driver's side rear bumper cover. I visited his insurance adjuster yesterday and because they said they can't do anything with the scuffs they'll pay to replace the entire cover. Barring unseen internal damage the bottom line was some $670. Well, lo and behold, when I get home I wet my finger and rubbed one of the scuff marks and it disappeared! I'll try again with a bit of simple green and a soft cloth on the rest of them at some point. If the scuffs come off that easily then...

So my question is, how is the bumper cover attached to the side body panel? How do they clip together? As it is now it just appears as though the seam simply popped open and could be re set with a firm knock with a fist. Only a portion of the top of the seam, with a series of square holes is visible. (witnesses said the bumper opened up then came back together. I might very well have noticed it until much later had witnesses not told me about it when I returned to my car).

Anyone have any experience with this type of thing?
If the corner popped out a clip is broken and there is no easy fix but you can make a band-aid solution. Post a pic.

If the corner popped out a clip is broken and there is no easy fix but you can make a band-aid solution. Post a pic.

It's still attached at the wheel well and at the signal light housing. I'll try to post a pic if I ever remember to bring my camera.

Chad99: already have check made out to me in hand.

It's still attached at the wheel well and at the signal light housing. I'll try to post a pic if I ever remember to bring my camera.

When fixing the dent in my front fascia, I had no trouble popping it out at the seam, then clicking it back in. So it's possible it's not damaged.

When fixing the dent in my front fascia, I had no trouble popping it out at the seam, then clicking it back in. So it's possible it's not damaged.

That's my hope, together with being able to completely clean off the scuffs. But we'll see what the body shop says regarding any potential damage behind the cover. Hopefully they'll be honest about it if there's really nothing there. Taking that out of the picture, and being able to simply click it back in place, the wife says the scuffs come off absolutely completely otherwise the replacement happens regardless.

If it simply pops in/out, then clip 50-519 is prob broken. There should be enough space to use a self tapping screw or yiu can get a speed nut and make a new hole somewhere. No body panel should come on/off so easily.

http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/s...odel=14357&modelYear=2013&ukey_category=20246

50-519 seems to be in place. Where it is popped out is the curved section directly under the item labeled 52-125 = 50-2HOA? I bet 50-2HOA (~$25.) is what the lip of bumper cover clips in to. I need to look at it more closely, and get under the car to see if I can see anything. [haven't done so because weather has been crappy and don't have a dry place to do it]

Click for larger:
th_100_2794_zpseaabd820.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That part looks like it should pop right back in, it's like the "front slider" piece mounted on the front fenders that hold the edges of the front bumper, they are made to just click in place, if you are able to push it and have it click back in then it's fine.

That doesn't look so bad. I thought the corner popped. That is where a screw/fastener must exist. The section in the pic seems it can pop back in. However, have a good look to make sure the clip isn't broken. It may seem to pop back in and stay in place but it could be due to friction from the tight tolerance. When it is in, hit it with your fist and if it comes out, the clip might be broken.

A car is an appliance. Since the damage is superfiscial, save the repair money for a rainy day.

Last edited:
(omg) fixed it fer ya
You mean like a bastard child who's purpose is to serve? I can agree to that :D

On a serious note, different cars different purpose. To me the Mz5 is a daily use/abuse workhorse, not a garage queen. That’s not to say/imply I don’t take care of it.

Update/final (for now at least) status:

Went to the body shop this morning and they looked up from underneath and couldn't see any damage. Also pulled back the panel and thought the clips looked alright so the guy took his fist to it and popped it back into place. Suggest I let it go at that unless I see it not holding, in which case bring it in and they'll replace the clip assembly. The scuffs had cleaned off without a trace but there was a small (<1/4") spot of paint chipped off. They suggested I'd be able to effectively take care of it with touch up paint from the dealership.

Will look into getting touch up paint (and wait for warm weather) and will deposit claim check tomorrow.

Thanks to those who gave insight and comments.

Back