Budget exhaust options?

RPRP5

2002 Mazda Protege5
Howdy folks,

So, some a-hole previous owner somehow got it in his head that a straight piped FS-DE made an amazing sound (I think he was high or something to be honest) and hacked everything off from the headers all the way back to the single muffler that's remaining. Needless to say, it sounds as or even more obnoxious than a straightpiped 350z, and without the performance credentials that come with a Z. I cant make passes without this thing sounding so bad that it makes me want to drive it off a bridge!

Is there any way that I can fix this on the cheap. Maybe aftermarket exhaust? Because I doubt that I'll be able to get my hands on a clean exhaust off a Protege, considering I'm in the rust belt.

Thanks,
RPRP5

I wonder if it's possible that it has an exhaust leak in the piping, or maybe the owner gutted out the remaining muffler so it would appear stock from the back?

I would take the car to a muffler shop to have them take a look. If there is no leak, they can weld in a high-flow catalytic converter, a resonator, and a new OEM style muffler replacement. That should quiet it down.

An aftermarket exhaust system might be the cheapest way to clean up the sound (if you're still able to bolt it to the existing exhaust flange). I've seen a few botched installs where the shop cut the flange off completely and just welded pipe to pipe.

I wonder if it's possible that it has an exhaust leak in the piping, or maybe the owner gutted out the remaining muffler so it would appear stock from the back?

I would take the car to a muffler shop to have them take a look. If there is no leak, they can weld in a high-flow catalytic converter, a resonator, and a new OEM style muffler replacement. That should quiet it down.
Highly possible, considering it's just a straight tube from the headers down to the last muffler without any cats, and that my state has emissions inspections. (not as bad as California, but needless to say, the current exhaust setup wouldn't fly with inspectors if the car wasn't as old as it is)

If you're looking to restore back to stock, rockauto.com has some pretty cheap kits as stock replacements:

$239.89 - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5943627&cc=1416833&jsn=10865&jsn=10865

$218.89 - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5907666&cc=1416833&jsn=10864&jsn=10864

I wasn't sure how to share the list of exhaust options but was able to share the details of each kit I found. If not familiar with rockauto, you can either search for the part by part number or by car under a protege5 then navigate to Exhaust & Emission -> Exhaust System Kit.

Can't complain if he didn't put a gun to your head to buy it. 🤣😂 But on a serious note, just buy vibrant ultra quiet resonator, especially if you still have the muffler. I just slapped on an ebay catback for $125 on my protege and called it good.

Reactions: 323
Back