broken lugnut post

cilyjr

Contributor
:
manual, MP5 2002
i had new rims installed on my car recently. when i went to take it off one of the lug posts broke off (musta been cross threaded). anyway my question is those should simply pound out the back with a ballpin hammer or something similar right. i remember it like that in an old toyota i had. just hit the top of the broken post with some force and it backed out (didn't even neet to remove the disc. i am hoping my P5 is the same

you've gotta take the rotor off. i would just take the caliper bracket bolts off and have the caliper and bracket as one piece and hang it up by a bungee cord. DONT let the caliper fall amd hang by the hose, it will cause damage. and replace the stud that way

yeah i looked at it today and i decided that i can get the old bolt off because it is broken off short enough, but there would be no way to get the new one back in without removing a lot of stuff. i managed th thread a lug nut onto it though and got like 2 turns on it. since it's a 5 lug wheel i think i will just wait until next tire rotation to deal with it

yeah dude that sucks. correct me if i'm mistaken but that is the threaded bolt that the lug nuts thread onto correct? If it is indeed one of those bolts you broke off I have no idea how you would replace one short of replacing the hub assembly. I'm almost positive you can't just back it out with a hammer. Replacing the hub assembly would be a huge pain in the ass because you'd have to remove the calipers and rotors, unstake the axle hub nut, remove the axle-hub knut (you'll need a high impact) and somehow slide the the hub assembly out of the spindle while you slide the axle out along the splines. The hub assemblies are machine pressed into the spindle though-- so I have no idea how you'd get it out. Your other option would be to replace the entire spindle (with the hub assembly already in it), but even that is a pain in the ass. You'll need to do everything I stated above in addition to removing the lower bolts that attach the shock to the steering knuckle. You'll also need to remove the tie-rod end from the spindle steering knuckle (which is an extreme pain in the ass), and remove the ball-joint stud that attaches the lower steering knuckle to the lower suspension arm. Anyone that's removed ball-joints will tell you that to say it's a headache is an extreme understatement.

If you can simply back out the bolts with a hammer that would be ideal, but again i'm almost positive you can't. Anyway, good luck and keep us posted. I can offer help if you need it.

the bolt itself is simply pushed throught a hole in the hub assmbly and the brake rotor fits over these they ate pressed in and most mechs. have a press that pops them out of the back. i know on older cars a few strikes with a hammer will back them out, but i am unsure with this particular model. anyway i got enough fo a bite with a lugnut so i'm not worried. it's ok to drive with 4 lugs anyway so it is mostly for aesthetics. thanks all the same all

if a stud is broken off at the hub then just take a brass punch and tap it ot. yes the stud is held in my tension but it can set in place by hitting it with a hammer from the back side or using an impact to pull it thru

For future reference after you punch out the old stud you won't be able to get the new stud in(P5 front hub) because it will barely clip the dust shield. You'll have to get a dremel and grind down one side of the head just enough so you can slip it by. Then you can use your washers and spacers to to drawn in the stud.

I swear if I had to change out a CAI or add graphics every weekend this site might be helpful.

ok so i had this same thing hapen to me yesterday, i broke one of my studs off

I DIDNT HAVE TO USE A DREMEL, i just slipped it in, u have to work out the angle to get the stud in and then use a spacer or some stacked washers to force the stud into the hub
if you dont have a air gun then u prob wont be able to get it all the way in, i did one before and i thought i had it in all the way, but turns out i didnt, and we fixed that one yesterday too with the air gun

how did you know it didn't get in all the way? Will it slide back out?

It looked flush in the hub, I figure I'll get some miles on it and tighten again.

sorry for the late response lol

but if its flush then its in all the way, idk why mine wasnt in all the way
i guess i need to hit the weights or something lol

Back