Brighter Headlights?

The LED headlights on both the CX-5 and CX-9 are downright fantastic. If op can't see, then take to the dealer for assessment.

Actually I was out driving tonight and they seem to be ok. This is the first night that it has been clear without torrential rain so I think it was just me getting used to a new vehicle. I did the test against a flat wall and they seem correct. I don’t see well at night and rain doesn’t help. Hubby drove it too and said the headlights are better than his car.
Not as strong as my Jeep headlights but definitely will be ok. Just gotta give it time to get accustomed.
Thanks you all for the feedback.

This is my 3rd Mazda with the adaptive LED system. For the most part the system works good, when activated. Sometimes weather causes the system to malfunction. The light pattern and brightness change automatically, depending on exterior conditions.
1665061263459.png
1665061287171.png

Tilt them up a bit. I've noticed cx-9s or Mazdas in general have them pointed too low. I turned mine a few notches up and it projects alot further. Way better visibility

The LED headlights on both the CX-5 and CX-9 are downright fantastic.
Our 2016 CX9 LED headlights are good, not great. Our 2017 Prius Prime LED headlights are better. I know that Mazda put better headlights on cars to other nations, but in the U.S. the old federal regs didn't permit the newer tech lights at that time. I think the regs have changed, but I don't know if Mazda has upgraded the headlights on this 2nd generation CX9.

I’ve seen people mention tilting them up. Does the dealer have to do that?
This is a picture I found, but the screw is like this park about a car distance from a wall with headlights on. Open hood and look for a joke with a screw like teeth marks. Looks something like this move 180 degree at a time and you will see the line move line both side to top cut off line
.essentially if you are behind a car about 3-4 car length you don't want the light in their rear view mirror just slightly below the other cars rear view mirror
1665105195560.png

To expand a bit further on the above post, the hole that you're looking for is in the sheet metal just behind the headlight. If you look straight down into the hole, you'll see the adjustment screw in the picture above. You can insert a Philips screwdriver straight down into the hole to catch the threads on the adjustment screw.

This is a common adjuster. The notches on the little wheel engage the slots in the Phillips screwdriver tip.

1665254886966.png

Mine had blue marks on the adjuster. I assume these were from the factory. The driver side had been adjusted down a little as the blue mark wasn't at the top. The passenger side had the blue mark at the top. I used tape to get a before measurement because my driveway is not level. I then adjusted the driver side blue mark to the top. Once both driver and passenger blue marks were at the top I then adjusted both 1 full turn of my screwdriver. This is exactly 4 notches on the adjuster. This turned out to be about 1/8 inch up at 3 feet from my garage door.

Side view adjuster
1665320549783.png

Top view adjuster
1665320587048.png

Last edited:
How are they now driving on the road ? A 1/2 inch adjustment at 3 feet on the garage door can result on significantly higher beam at a distance. Curious to see how that worked out.

Back